PDA

View Full Version : Questions

joeb33050
09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm new here, have had a .308 W Striker for a while, just bought a rifle.

Rifle is blued model 10 308 Win in a BLACK Choate stock, S/N G291XXX. Did this gun come from Savage with this stock, or is the stock an add on?

The front screw of the 2 holding the barreled action in the stock engages only 1 3/4 turns. It looks like there's more room for the screw before it hits anything. Should the screw be longer?

The barrel nut is 7/8" long. Does this mean that the barrel threads are the old size = 1.05"??

Thanks;
joe b.

pdog06
09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the forum...

They didnt change the barrel threads on the newer guns, just the action screw spacing.

The front action screw will only go in about 4or5 thread lengths before it hits the bolthead. If you remove the bolt and look inside the action (just before the chamber), you will see the tip of the screw. The rear one wont hit anything so you can run it long, but the action is still the same thickness in both areas. You ideally want the front screw as long as it can be without contacting the bolthead though.

358Hammer
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the forum Joe.

Purely from a machinists perspective. A screw should have the same amount of thread engagement equal to the width of the bolt for optimum strength. The first starter thread on a bolt is typically only half a thread so for me I would want at least 3 threads engaging or as Pa said, all the way through, stopping short of the bolt or barrel.

The 1.05? is actually 1.055 and if you use your caliper and measure the O.D of the barrel right against the nut taper it will give you that measurment you were asking.

Hope this helps

Neal

joeb33050
09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I got a longer 1/4-28 allen head cap screw from NAPA, got out the Dremel, and ended up with a screw that engages 6 turns and doesn't hit the bolt. These screws come with a non-threaded tapered end, grinding that off so it's threaded to the end makes for a "better" screw.
So, did this gun come from Savage with the Choate stock??
Thanks;
joe b.

joeb33050
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
The barrel diameter, at the nut, is 1.037"
The barrel nut is ~7/8" long.
There is no step in the barrel.
From what I've read, this means that the gun has the smaller diameter barrel threads.
Is this correct?
Thannks;
joe b.

fatdaddy
09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Joe,
I believe the savage model 10 in a choate stock was available from savage. Yes, if theres no step in your barrel at the nut , you have a small shank. Bill