PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Rifle Builds?

Pages : 1 [2]

Strutnut
11-24-2015, 11:55 AM
I still believe out to 1000 yards you should be fine with a 300 win mag and some 215 Bergers. If you dont go above 200gr on the bullet as mentioned you might be better off with the 7mm mag. I wished you lived closer I would let you run some rounds through my Bear Hunter. I cant wait to get a sweet load for it developed and get out west with it.

theicon2u
12-07-2015, 10:32 PM
That's what I would do. I actually just bought a new trophy Hunter combo, and am selling everything off it, so im basically in it $200 for the action and magazine.
A centerfeed magazine will allow you to load out to 3.52". But what I'm gonna do is use the bell and Carlson medalist staggerfeed blind mag stock and mount the centerfeed magazine in it, then notch the front of the magazine, and I should be able to load out to 3.7" plus.
Let me know how your build goes...Ill be doing mine just like yours but my barrel is 12 weeks out.

Londerko
12-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Plans fell through for the B&C staggerfeed stock. I just ordered a stockade mule deer in centerfeed blind mag. I will be able to get the adequate coal in the centerfeed magazine for the bullets and barrel combo I am planning on running. I currently have the barreled action in old staggerfeed stock, (until the stockade shows up) and their is room to spare if I wanted to perminantly mount the centerfeed box in it, but I am no longer planning on doing that. My Apache 300wm barrel showed up and a 208 touches @ 3.55" and a 210 VLD @ 3.5" and the centerfeed mag allows for approx. 3.52" with no modification so I think I'll be good to go

Ksduckhntr
12-09-2015, 11:36 PM
I too am in the process of a "mountain" rifle. I built a tikka 6.5x55se with a 24" barrel sitting in a mcmillian gamescout. My next build is on a savage LA with a B&c medium sporter contour 280 Remington barrel. I plan to go with 22" on this rifle to make it a little more handy. In a light rifle I went non magnum due to the recoil but I don't plan to shoot farther than 250-300 yds.

cowboybart
01-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Where is your hunt going to be?? If it is in grizzly country - you should carry enough gun to protect yourself. That generally starts at something where the case is 1/2" or bigger O.D. My elk hunting days are over with a 6.5-06, I now have to carry a 358 Norma (even my 300 Wby is borderline). If you are elk hunting in AZ or NM or CO, you'll be OK with a lightweight whatever on an 06 case. If in WY, MT, ID you'd best consider something bigger. I don't know about BC or SK - if they have a bear problem.
Nothing wrong with having an action around and not knowing what to do with it. I have 5 98 actions laying around and can only think of 1 build I want to do.