PDA

View Full Version : pairing up a LRH in 6.5x284 with a leupold vx-6 3.18x50 cds

candafish
11-06-2015, 12:44 PM
so the gun is on its way and the scope just got ordered. I have always used leupold bases and rings on all my other guns but have been reading a lot about the picatany rails to make sure i have enough room to dial up to 1000 yds. Is this the way i need to go or can i stick with standard bases and rings? thanks in advance, chris

yobuck
11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
You (might) be able to reach 1000 yds, with those bases and you might not.
You could always place a shim under the rear base if you cant if thats your base preference.
Especially the 2 pc base makes it a little easier loading the gun. And of coarse there's the
windage adjustment feature.
The piccitinny allows for more flexibility on scope placment and you could get a tapered
base which would eliminate the need for shims in the event they were necessary.
If i owned a base id be trying it first before buying another.

psharon97
11-07-2015, 09:43 PM
You need to see how much adjustment is in the scope to be able to answer that question. The 6.5x284 is a heckuva cartridge and should easily make it a grand without the need to shoot like a howitzer.

yobuck
11-08-2015, 10:31 AM
You need to see how much adjustment is in the scope to be able to answer that question. The 6.5x284 is a heckuva cartridge and should easily make it a grand without the need to shoot like a howitzer.

A 7x300 Weatherby is a heckuve cartridge also. But with that same mount on a 700 action, and a 6.5x20 Leupold,
1000 yds was pretty much it as for elevation without shimming the mount.
Try it this way, mount the scope and zero the gun at 100 yds. Then count the remaing clicks left in the scope for elevation.
Be sure to be looking in the scope as you do in order to make sure the reticle is moving. When the reticle stops moving, stop turning
as nothing is happening. So just count the clicks while the reticle is moving. As a (ballpark) figure, 80 clicks or 20 minits will be needed
to reach 1000yds from a 100 yd zero with a 6.5x284. If you dont have that, either shim the mount or change the base to one with a taper.

Robinhood
11-08-2015, 11:37 AM
The voice of experience.

candafish
11-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the great advice. This long range stuff I a little new for me and I was hoping to start off in the right direction. I will order a 20 moa rail today. Thanks guys

Jamie
11-12-2015, 12:32 PM
20 MOA is a good choice. There is no magic or mysticism in figuring it out, just look up the specs of the scope. Yours seems to have 75 MOA of adjustment, meaning roughly 32 up/down. You are going to need somewhere around 24,25 or 26 MOA to get to 1K depending on your actual bullet, velocity, air density etc.. Given the fudge factor of using some elevation to sight in and you are getting really close to the mechanical limits of the scope. With the 20 MOA base you will be in the neighborhood of 6 MOA off center for 1K but will put you close to the limits if you try to zero at 100. Your optic is most efficient near center.

candafish
11-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Just ordered the talley one piece 20 moa base and a set of their rings. Just waiting on a scope and gun now.