PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua stock

bc160
11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Has anyone converted a boyds stock to fit the lapua? It looks as though it could be done, just wondering if the stock would hold up to the recoil. I would love to hsve a thumbhole stock for mine.
Thanks for your input..
Blaine

WinnieTheBoom
11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
This won't be of much help, but I know that I've seen a Lapua action in a thumbhole stock before. Unfortuntaely, I don't remember what kind of stock it was. I saw it over on SH last month, so if you wanted to peruse the PX over there, you might find it. It very well may have been the Boyd as I know that it was a semi-custom build, but I can't be certain.

I myself use the XLR chassis and have been extremely pleased with it, but thumbhole stocks have just never been my thing.

bc160
11-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the lead i will try to dig it up. I cant see why it wouldnt work in the boyds but im not sure. Would you think the stock would handle the recoil?

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Talk to Boyd's...they can tell you. Hope they come out with a special stock just for the 110 BA and iterations.I like thumbhole stocks, have half a dozen at least and Boyd's stocks are great AND cheap...also have many in several configurations...but I don't really like laminated stocks...had to repair several for cals above 35.If you reinforce that mag area with 0.050"-0.60" steel shim stock bedded in steel epoxy and leave the stock as thick as possible in the mag area(a steel box so to speak like do for repair) you probably won't have any problems. "It's already broke so fix it first"I just finished a 26" 375 x 62(375JDJ) using an Axis (originally a 25-06) SS action and put it in a Boyd's lam stock...it looks great, shoots great...but I reinforced the mag area as above BEFORE I started shooting.I don't think the Lapua kicks all that much...something like ~35-40 ft lbs and half that with a MB, but I shoot a lot of 375 cal and above and recoil is always subjective.The problem with a blind mag stock is the laminations on the bottom of the blind mag are thin longitudinally and not very thick from top to bottom and really have no support except for the glue...that's where all the laminated stocks I've had to repair split due to the wood in and around the mag area flexing and de-laminating...same and worse with stocks with detachable mags or "bottom" metal...support only on the sides. Lams are OK for light recoiling rifles but questionable for the heavy hitters like 375 and up and 300 gr and heavier. I like good solid walnut, maple or fiberglass/Kevlar/rhyolite.Just one mans opinion...learned through the college of hard knocks.

bc160
11-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Sage,
You got me thinking I could have Boyds build a solid wood stock in Walnut for my rifle. Hadn't thought of that before. I will give them a call on monday. Thank you for your insight

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Savage is a "extremely progressive" company which means they fiddle and fidget trying to get interchangeability...which means there are lots of iterations on EVERY PART...ALSMOST.In 2013-14 Savage changed some of the stock mag cutouts and the 375 Ruger has a mag cut out similar in shape to what the Axis has....so you have a couple of designs to "contain"...and the Axis stock has a plastic part for the mag to engage that is held in place with the front stock screw.( I made an alum part to replace it) On top of that the earlier wood models had a "bottom" metal piece that surrounds and supports the mag that required a slightly larger and different shaped cut out. The first stock Boyd's sent me was for the earlier models for use with the extra and very pricey part...I used the online ordering setup which DIDN'T include the latest Savage stock iterations...so I took pictures, emailed them to Boyd's and sent back the stock...the returned finished stock was "perfect" within reason...I lined my 375 Ruger, 375 x 62 Axis sock and Lapua up to see just "Whatthehellandwhy"...the Lapua's mag cutout looks very similar to the "earlier" model except it fits in flat instead of being inletted but I didn't take it apart to be sure...basically a metal support surrounding the mag just like the earlier models...BUT the stock bolt holes DID/DO line up...the mag is longer and narrower. I'm about to do a trigger job maybe later on this week when the weather actually DOES CHANGE and will take some pics.I have the same questions as you as I want to walnut Boyd's stock for my Lapua, I just haven't found that "round tuit" to get started. The Tupperware stock on the BA isn't all that bad either one you relieve to barrel channel with enough room so squeezing doesn't cause metal/plastic contact.You can also checkout Richards semi finished stocks...I've used many of them also and they are much thicker around the mag cutout for better support and you can have them do their "fat stock" treatment.

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Pic of Lapua stock and mag support...don't see any reason you and me can't get Boyd's to fix us up...

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/1BADFINGER9/005_zpsqxezbssj.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/1BADFINGER9/media/005_zpsqxezbssj.jpg.html)

bc160
11-07-2015, 11:04 PM
I have a spare thumb hole stock here that has not been inleted for bottom metal. I think I'm going to try and fit the lapua stuff on it. After your posts I think I will also build a metal "box" to help stiffen the part I cut out for the mag. I'm not to worried about messing the stock up since my new lab puppy got ahold of it before I did..... if it works out I will order a new walnut one. I will keep you posted if I have any good progress, might be a bit as we are still trying to get the cows home before it snows .
Thanks again for your replies.

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Yeah...work is the Bain of play... and cows can be incredibly dumb and brilliant at the same time...Snows coming over the hill...it's almost here right now and in your neck of the woods in a day or so IF not right now. I lived in Sandy and worked above Park city back in the mid to late 70's..sure has changed in 30 odd years.Depending on how well your pup did his job, a little filler, sand paper, gouges, files and rasps....(and a bit of paint) can make ugly into pretty fairly fast and re-contour the stock...and also give it some character/class with a story or two concerning the dings and gouges. I gave one lam stock a very nice speckled, black and white spider-web using some Rust-oleum or Krylon textured paint spray that gave a pleasant, slightly rough grip that totally hid the steel epoxy even though I colored it brown...it's one of my favorite Savage LA stocks and I swap barrels and barreled actions on it constantly.You also reminded me I have an old lam LA varminter stock that has stood in a corner of the shop so long it basically disappeared from view. Long, blocky squared off, wide, flat forend, very nice finger grooves and palm swell, nice thick 1.5" recoil pad and already partially setup...I had already drilled for pillars, epoxy bedded the front ring and rear tang and milled for an alum bedding block plus recoil extenders up the forend....hole spacing just right so guess what will be my next project. Mill out a pocket under the recoil pad and a nice deep groove up the forend for lead shot/epoxy mix and I can end up with a 15# plus stock just perfect for long range bench/tailgate work.I have had, for most of the past, a Savage LA stock only used for benchrest load development...basically an aluminum bedding block surrounded by wood...Once I hit a good load the barreled action/scope is switched to the "shooting" stock. Some how that stock got recycled into a shooting stock for a single shot XP-100 6mm-284 and all the warts removed, rearranged or hidden with steel epoxy(JB weld) and paint.I also modified three mags to fit the various standard '06, 300 WM and 375 H&H LA rounds so the various diameters and lengths will feed fairly well...NOT CRF by any means...they work pretty well with one down, two down gets a bit dicey and forget three down...I haven't been able to stop quick dumps with the heavy cals and bullets..Jack the bolt on three down and they ALL fly out...so...I REALLY LIKE THE NEW CENTER FEEDS.Anyway...a bit OT but informational.

cowtownup
11-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I have a friend that has the 110BA in 338LM and he wants a stock for it instead of the chassis its in... Isn't the 110BA on a 5.026" action screw spacing?

bc160
11-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Cowtown,

I'm not sure on the BA, but on the 338 LRH the screw spacing measure 5.062" same as the regular 110 actions.

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
As I said earlier I measured 3 110 receiver, 375 Ruger, 338 LM and Axis LA OEM 25-05 and they ALL measured the same...standard Savage LA hole spacing...I also measured a 30 odd year old 110 LA OEM 300 WM and it had the same hole spacing. The rest of the receiver measured the same also and I could swap around bolts except the axis bolt was different on the handle end.It looks suspiciously like someone mis-measured or mis-entered the hole spacing measurement...WHY would Savage change the hole spacing or receiver by 0.036"...doesn't compute in my mind...but I've see lots of strange goings on in rifle/pistol making companiesThe only way to answer this adequately is to contact Savage and ask them.MY 338 LM was called the "BA" when I bought it when they first came out a few years ago, and the fancier one was called something else...Savage seems to have changed the nomenclature to "Long Range Hunter" for added sales value maybe...but again...ONLY Savage has the correct answer...things get totally twisted here on the internet/forums...I learned long ago to suspect EVERYTHING I read unless I could actually empirically prove it myself.Snowed last night...not much about 1/2" here on the flats, but 4-8" more up my "long range canyon"...probably done LR until spring or a warm period. I have rat shooting rights on most of the ranches around me...for small cals...17-20-22 and small cases...but if I curt loose with this Lapua I get some raised eyebrows. They are used to me shooting in my 125 yd back yard range, but I always get a few comments anytime I pop off a few of my really large cals. Hahahaha