PDA

View Full Version : In what order would you change things for better accuracy?

claytonsdad
06-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Let me start by saying that I'll probably never shoot 1,000 yards. First, we don't have a range within a reasonable distance with that kind of setup and second, I can't see that far anymore. ;D

That being said, in what order would you rank the importance of changing the various components (trigger, barrel, stock, etc) on a rifle that will be used for hunting and shooting at the range against your friends?

tammons
06-13-2010, 09:08 AM
What is your setup ??

They are all important, but I guess I would say do the below first.

Work on your technique and get a good trigger or you could replace it later.
If you don't reload, start learning.

First make sure everything is freefloated, bed what you have and develop some loads
to see if you can get it to tighten up.

Next

If you have a sporter barrel get a target type (stiff) barrel, a machined recoil lug, and bed it
Make sure everything is free floated especially the tang.

If you have a Savage varmint type barrel then just do the recoil lug, bed it and free float it.
If you dont have a decent stock, then that should happen at this stage too and bed it.

Maybe a better base, scope and rings later unless the scope is really junk
then you should do it asap.

Fjold
06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Ammunition. If you don't handload, start. If you do handload then you need to tailor loads specific to the target shooting that you do and a separate load for hunting.

Hammer
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM

In order, try a new shooter first.

82boy
06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Well IMO way before you even consider shooting 1000 yards you needs to have a firm grasp on shooting 100 yards. Before you do anything, set goals for your self. A good starting goal would be: "I want to shoot 5 shot groups, at 100 yards, with them all measuring under .5 inches" Another goal could be: "I want to be able to hit a small bullseye every time I fire." Then as you progress through your goals you can change them, such as "I want to shoot 5 shoot 100 yard groups in the .3 area." or "I what to hit the very center of the bulseye everytime I fire."

Once you have a goal you need to figure out what you need to achieve that. To start you will never shoot good groups without some kind of flag. It don't have to be expensive, a few dowel rods drilled out for coat hanger pivots and some surveyors tape is all that is needed.

I would say the next thing to help accomplish the goal would be getting a good rest rear bag set up. It is hard to achieve goals without something sturdy and dependable to shoot off of. The old coat rolled up over the hood of a car just don't cut it. Again it don't have to be expensive, but I would suggest if you have any plans on continuing this on for many years buy the best you can afford. Many people shoot off of bi-pods nothing wrong with that, I prefer a rest. If you going to buy a rest I would highly recommend the Sinclair light weight rest.
I would look at Protektor products they make some of the best equipment for the best price around. The have low end shooting bags all the way up to top notch professional grade equipment. Many world records has been set using their products. www.protektormodel.com

After the aformentioned equipment I would look into reloading equipment. You don't have to get expensive, but again buy the best you can afford. In addition to them things I would recommend reading a couple of books, such as "the ultimate in rifle accuracy" by Glen Newick and "Extreme rifle accuracy" by Mike Ratigan.

Now onto the rifle I feel the most important part is the trigger, without a good trigger the rest is a waste. The next thing I would suggest is buy good glass, a junk scope is the most worthless thing you can have. It don't have to be expensive, do you homework/research and buy the best you can afford. After them two things I would say the stock , and barrel have about the same importance. You can get buy with low end stuff on either of them, But as one of the smartest shooters I know says; "It is like have a fast race car with an uncomfortable seat." Sure you can do it, and do well with it, but having something that in comfortable makes getting the job done easier.