PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: indoor basement practice with "hummers"

rfd12fv
11-04-2015, 06:32 PM
hummers (aquila colibri "hummingbird".22longs - uses eley priming compound only) make less noise than the sound of their lead hitting the cardboard and trap metal. not at all particularly accurate, but good for trigger and sight control on the spur of the moment (not to mention the voles i've dispatched in the back yard). here's 20 rounds shot in succession through a mark II fv @ 9 yards. the aiming dot is 1" and the rifle would blow out the dead center @ 25 yards with cci standards. that one super low flyer made zero noise, bad primer compound for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/8DpgAqx.jpg

MidwesternMutt
11-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Nice group. [emoji106]🏽

GaCop
11-19-2015, 08:54 AM
It would be interesting to run those over a chronograph to see what the velocities are.

rfd12fv
11-19-2015, 09:10 AM
aguila claims their colibri hummers are doing 400fps, but i'll bet the speed will prove quite inconsistent as noted by that flyer i had.

so ....

if noise is an issue, the hummers win hands down 'cause there is none at all. due to the issue with its primer charge, accuracy will never be 100% reliable, and its effective range for me is about 15 yards or so (if i get lucky and don't fire off a dud round).

as a comparison, i can shoot cci quiet-22's (700fps) indoors and not require ear protection (but the noise is Very noticeable and will be heard by yer neighbors if shot outdoors) and definitely have reliable accuracy out to at least 25 yards.