PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean your bolt???

Russ77
11-03-2015, 06:56 PM
I clean my rifle every time I shoot but I haven't taken my bolt apart and cleaned or lubed the inside parts of the bolt where the firing pin is. I have seen videos on how to disassemble it and it doesn't seem to tuff. Is this something you should do every few hundred rounds or is it something people never do. All the rifle cleaning videos I have seen don't talk much about it.

DrThunder88
11-04-2015, 02:52 AM
I brush the bolt face and extractor with every cleaning. I also wipe off the old grease and apply new grease to the lugs, spring washer, and primary extraction ramp. I don't clean the internals regularly. If I shoot in a dusty or sandy environment then I might clean inside. Also, if I have to bolt apart I'll clean and reapply grease.

barrel-nut
11-04-2015, 05:50 AM
I brush the bolt face and extractor with every cleaning. I also wipe off the old grease and apply new grease to the lugs, spring washer, and primary extraction ramp. I don't clean the internals regularly. If I shoot in a dusty or sandy environment then I might clean inside. Also, if I have to bolt apart I'll clean and reapply grease.

^ what Dr T said. +1

Jay24bal
11-04-2015, 12:13 PM
I wipe off the exterior and apply new grease to the lugs after every shooting.

I completely disassemble the bolt and clean and re-lube the insides once a year. Every year in the winter I detail strip and clean every rifle, so I do it then. It is kind of a drag since I then need to spend an entire day in the spring re-zeroing every rifle, but it makes me feel good if every barreled action is taken off and cleaned once a year.

fgw_in_fla
11-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Asking me if I clean my bolt?
Getting personal, eh?

If you must know, I pull mine apart about every 6 - 7 months, remove all spooge, lube & reassemble.
But mine get quite a bit of use.

DrThunder88
11-04-2015, 03:44 PM
No need to brag, Frank.

red caddy 51
11-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Sorry, TMI in this post.
Yes, I clean and lube the bolt every time I detail strip the weapon.

Paul

red caddy 51
11-04-2015, 04:26 PM
sorry, double post.

Paul