PDA

View Full Version : Is there a differance?

rjsixgun
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Looking to buy a Savage short action, and I'm wondering what is the differance between the actions with the bolt release in the trigger guard VS on the side of the reciever? Can anyone tell me the differance and which is preferred and why.

Are stocks or parts any differant or harder to get?

Thanks

82boy
06-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the site.
The actions that have the trigger release in the trigger guard, are accu-stock guns, and at this time there are no production stocks available. You could have a custom stock inletted for the action. The accu-stock actions can not be converted to standard actions, because the side is not ground down for the flag release. The accu-stock guns also have a different bolt set up, with the firing pin protruding out the back of the bolt. Bolt handles and other parts will interchange, but if you want to use a lift kit/gunk button, you need a special made one, and the only company I know that offers such a piece is Sharp Shooters Supply.(SSS) The accu-stock guns also use a different recoil lug (Similar to a Remington) and barrel nut. The parts can be interchanged, but to remove the nut you would need a special wrench. (Again the only company I know than makes such a thing is SSS) Besides that the actions are the same and will have the same accuracy. IMO you would be better off with a standard action.

rjsixgun
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks 82 that helped out alot and aswered alot of my questions, but it did bring up another. LOL!
The 2 Savage rifles I'm looking at both have wood stocks but one is the "flag release" and the other has the trigger guard release. Thats whats got me kinda confussed. But now I know about the "accu-stock" guns, I didnt know that. I like the 11 GCNS and the 14 Euro, I'm kinda leaning to the 11 due to price.

But that bolt release has me kinda confussed. I like the both styles, but dont want to shoot myself in the leg on after market parts and stocks either.

Carvera
06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I thought that the Classic series of rifles had the same setup as the accu-stock guns? Don't they have the same bolt release?

How do the clasic stocks differ from the accu-stocks?

sharpshooter
06-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The classic stocks don't have the accuwedge. They do have the new bolt release and smooth barrel nut.

Carvera
06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
The classic stocks don't have the accuwedge. They do have the new bolt release and smooth barrel nut.

So if one were to remove the accuwedge and replace it with a regular recoil lug, could you put an accustock rifle in a different stock that implores the new bolt release and smooth barrel nut?

sharpshooter
06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
You don't even have to replace the lug. The recoil lug on accustock rifles are shorter and narrower to fit into the accustock. The lug pocket is larger on a non accustock, so it isn't an issue.

bodywerks
06-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Any aftermarket stock for a savage short action with DBM will fit an accustock. I just purchased a choate stock for my FCP-k, which is an accustock model, and it was a drop-in fit. In fact, I modified it to make use of the accuwedge system using household tools and some structural epoxy. I think it's a good concept and wanted to continue to make use of it.
I also have one of Sharpshooter's stocks coming and plan to do the same thing - unless he is willing to do it for me?? ;)
Also, accustock rifles are not the only ones with the bolt release on the trigger guard. I had an FCP-xp that was not an accustock and had the bolt release on the trigger. Regardless, either will still fit in most stocks that are made for short actions. So long as you have that part right, there's nothing a little dremel work won't fix.