PDA

View Full Version : Wrench surpise

red caddy 51
10-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Conventional wisdom:
A REM 700 internal action wrench will work on a Savage. (the one that inserts thru the port and engages the locking lugs in the action)

A Surgeon, internal style, (thru the port) wrench will NOT work for me on my Savage Axis.

The Surgeon wrench works perfectly on my 700's and my Savage 110, 112. The Axis port seems to be a bit smaller than the others.

Is there a "thru the port" wrench made for the Savage Axis?

Thanks, Paul

DrThunder88
11-01-2015, 06:26 AM
I knew the bolt bodies of 700s and Savages were the same diameter, but that the wrench's lugs work is interesting.

foxx
11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't get it.
Axis and 10/110's use the same bolt head and front baffle.

Maybe you could just grind down the edges of your wrench so it will fit??? I don't see how it would hurt anything when switching back to model 10's if it is a little loose after grinding it down a bit.

red caddy 51
11-01-2015, 05:10 PM
A recap,
The Surgeon (thru the port) wrench, designed for the Rem 700, will work on the 16,116, 12,112, 10,110 Savage actions, (I tried them) as well as, I'm sure, some others I don't have to compare. Also, some mauser's and several other military actions. A very handy tool to have on the bench.

The one I have seems to be forged MIM, so grinding on it would NOT be a good idea. Nor do I want to mill the Axis port for clearance, although it's QED.

This particular wrench WILL NOT work on a Savage Axis.

What I'm trying to find is a Surgeon style (thru the port) wrench, that will engage the locking lugs in a Savage AXIS. I have a "insert from the rear" style locking lug wrench (T handle) but My current portable change barrel set up would be much less cumbersome if I could Torque the actions with a Surgeon style, locking lug, wrench and a torque wrench rather than wrestling with 2 wrenches in two different planes. I only torque to 30-35 Lbs anyway, so I don't need the rock of Gibralter to hold the barreled action for tightening.

Now what say the smart pig's?

Thanks, Paul

foxx
11-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Now that I have seen the wrench you are talking about, I better understand the issue.

I am not the final-word expert here on the subject, (or any subject for that matter), but I have never seen such a wrench before. I'd say, "No, no one has built such a wrench for the Axis or offers one for sale at this time. "

J.Baker
11-01-2015, 07:00 PM
I would presume the issue lies with the different port shapes. On the standard 110-series rifles the port is fairly square at the front with only a small radius in the lower corner. The open top also allows much more room to work with. On the Axis (and Target Actions) the smaller port is an oval shape with a larger radius in the corners and I would suspect the radius prevents the tool from being able to be inserted far enough to engage the ramps.

As for anyone making a similar tool to fit the Axis, Foxx already covered that above.

sharpshooter
11-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Don't use the action wrench. All you need is a barrel vise and a nut wrench.