PDA

View Full Version : 12FV or Axis 308 HB

FWest
10-31-2015, 08:40 AM
In the process of shopping for a heavy barreled 308. Cabelas has a 12 FV for $419 and I can order a Axis for $350 . They seem pretty similar. I plan on changing the stock and possibly the bolt handle and trigger. So my question is there any reason to go with the FV over the Axis ?

Kadams1563
10-31-2015, 09:27 AM
The FV is the Varmint action and supposedly a better action. Also believe you will have more upgrade options. Those FV go on sale for 389 quite often. Good buy if you plan on changing things anyway.

Rosco
10-31-2015, 09:37 AM
What is the intended purpose of the rifle? If it is for some type of bench shooting or say long range work then the 12FV I think would be a better option, but for say hunting or a truck/utility gun I would prefer the Axis. Just don't like carrying around telephone poles in the woods. The 12FV already comes standard with the Accu-Trigger and the enlarged bolt handle which is a big improvement over the standard Axis trigger/bolt handle combination . Also, you get a 26'' barrel with the FV but only a 22'' with the Axis, plus the synthetic stock is a bit nicer with a beaver tail forend and little less flimsy.

Now it's pretty easy and inexpensive the get the Axis Trigger modified, and with the money saved you could throw a Boyd's stock on for just a few more dollars than you would pay for the 12FV.

Buds has this Axis HB for $314.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97929/Savage+AXIS+HB+308+WIN

Rosco
10-31-2015, 09:40 AM
"The FV is the Varmint action" Where did you see this? I don't believe this is correct.

Kadams1563
10-31-2015, 09:42 AM
I could be wrong but when I was discussing my build with a builder I asked why I should I pay over 500 for just the action and not buy the 12FV for 389. He said well it wouldn't be stainless and the barrel wouldn't match. So I just assumed it was the same from then on.

FWest
10-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Bench gun will be it's function. Varmint action means better/stronger bolt ?

Thanks for your input.

foxx
10-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Other than the Target Actions, all model 10/12/14/16's with top bolt release and Accutrigger (not in the trigger guard) are the same basic action, (16's are stainless). One is no better than another.

Similarly, all 10/12/14/16's with bottom bolt release and Accutrigger (in the trigger guard) are the same basic action.

The "varmint" models have a lighter trigger spring in the Accutrigger, a $7 part. The 12fv already comes with a "Varmint spring". The 12fv also comes with a slotted barrel nut. If you plan to replace the barrel some day, the slotted barrel nut is easier to remove and can be re-used. Smooth barrel nuts need to be replaced with slotted barrel nuts. ($15).

Axis models are entirely different and are much cheaper to manufacture, but are still decent actions. They do require a cheap style plastic detachable magazine. and there's really no way of getting around that fact.

I prefer the top bolt release model 10's because there are more stock options available (factory as well as aftermarket) and there are a few different aftermarket triggers of the target variety available that are much better than the accutrigger, but not necessary for a hunting trigger.

Any small shank savage barrel will fit any small shank Savage action and they are all of the same quality.

I don't like the Axis factory stock, but there are aftermarket stocks available that greatly improve the overall look and feel of the rifle.

All Savage rifle designs shoot better than most anyone needs for typical hunting purposes.

I suggest anyone not familiar with Savage basic designs shop around and handle an Axis and a model 10 to see for themselves how they feel and handle.

foxx
10-31-2015, 12:02 PM
To answer your original question, I'd say the Cabela's model 12fv is the best value in Savage rifles today. They can be easily upgraded and fitted to the finest aftermarket parts ever made for the Savage. That is not true of the Axis. Therefore, your initial additional $100-120 investment is money well spent, I believe.

FWest
10-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Great information. I do appreciate it.
Off to cabelas. Hopefully they have one in Stock.

rfd12fv
10-31-2015, 12:29 PM
a total no-brainer ... get the fv!

FWest
10-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks again guys for your help. I have the 12FV in .308 home now. Time to get to cleaning, mounting scope rails and scope. Any tips on the non obvious lube points, adjustments or areas to inspect ?

rfd12fv
10-31-2015, 04:34 PM
great deal on a great rifle, congrats!

my last one was in .204ruger and after plopping the barreled action into a boyds thumbhole stock, i mounted an swfa s/s 12x42 on a weaver mount with tacfire rings, and installed a timney trigger. cleaned the bore out good, loaded some match rounds, broke the barrel in carefully, and she's proved to be the proverbial tack driver.

foxx
10-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks again guys for your help. I have the 12FV in .308 home now. Time to get to cleaning, mounting scope rails and scope. Any tips on the non obvious lube points, adjustments or areas to inspect ?

No need. It's good to go as is.

If you want to swap/add parts, go for it, but there's nothing that needs special attention or oiling or anything like that.

DrThunder88
11-01-2015, 06:24 AM
The only problem I've had with my FV has been the bolt being sticky in the receiver. I suspect that will wear in with time, though. It has been the most accurate out of the box rifle I think I've ever owned. I guess it's wasn't totally out of the box since I ran some JB bore paste after cleaning the bore when I got it home from the store. Still, it took me to the fourth shot before I realized I wasn't missing the target and was actually making a very small group.

It took a lot of work to get my Axises to shoot that reliably well.

FWest
11-01-2015, 08:17 AM
The bolt does seem to fit pretty tight. I lubed it with some Lucas extreme oil I got for AR's, seemed to help. Going to try and get out today and start breaking in.