PDA

View Full Version : model 12 barrel that shoots off line

bush boy
10-31-2015, 04:12 AM
just wondering if any one has this happen, got a brand new model 12 varmint 204 ruger bore sighted it at 100 yards first shot hits the top left hand side of the 24 inch square backing board after a lot of winding of the scope adjustments i get it zeroed recheck the bore sighting to find that the barrel is pointing 10 inches low and 10 inches to the right in my mind this is going to give me a rifle that only shoot on line at range that it was shot in at ie 100 yards any less than 100 yards inpact is going to right and low past 100 yards inpact is going to be to the left and high am i correct or not? all my other centerfires barrels point stright in line with the target when sighted in.
the ammo i used was factory norma 40gr v max after i finnish i found that 4 of the 16 cases had pieced primers, anyway the the rifle has been returned for inspection what do you think?
Bush Boy

Stonewall_Jackson
10-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Bore sighting has always just been a guide to get me started getting my scope zeroed. The only way you can tell if the rifle is going to shoot different at different distances is to try it and see. It's way too early in the evaluation process to write this rifle off. Who's doing the inspection? Savage should make any rifle right that shoots off target badly.

bush boy
10-31-2015, 08:47 AM
thanks for reply, i first had a my gunsmith who have look who said that i had a problem then i returned it to the inporter in australia, the thing that has got me confused is my other rifles when zeroed at 100yards you put the cross hairs on the center of the targget remove the bolt and the barrel points dead on center, with this rifle the barrel points 10 inches to the right and 10 inches low it,s like the projectile is flying off at angle of 10:30 to hit the zero. after all a projectile should leave barrel in parrell fight to the barrel not a consistance angle regards bush boy

Don-T
10-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Had a similar problem with a .357 Max barrel on a Contender. It would shoot about a foot below bore sight at 50 yards. Finally diagnosed as a stretched frame. On firing the barrel would rotate down just a touch. Could your action bedding be loose or maybe the barrel touching the stock?

FW Conch
10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Bolt action rifles have been known to have the scope mounting screw holes off center with action centerline. One fix is to use Signature Z Rings with the offset inserts. This can center the scope with the rifle boar, if that is the problem.

Stonewall_Jackson
11-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Bolt action rifles have been known to have the scope mounting screw holes off center with action centerline.

That is definitely true of my MkIIBTV .22. Savage really dropped the ball on where the holes were drilled. They didn't align with each other front and back either. Luckily it wasn't so bad I couldn't fix it with a well placed shim or two. It's been so long since I fixed I don't remember how many shims I did use. I bought some Zee rings thinking I would re-do it with a better setup but by then my rifle was shooting so well I didn't want to muck with it. This is a big reason I said what I did in my first post in this thread. Just leaving the scope mounted the way it was and then bore sighting it would have yielded results a lot like the OP described. Bore sighting at different distances wouldn't have done anything except show that the scope mount wasn't correct but I had to look for that issue to find it. Just relying on bore sighting would have left me lost. Again that's why I said it was early in the process to declare something wrong with the bore. I just had to get my scope aligned with the bore and then all those problems of being off at different distances went away. That isn't how I found my problem but it could have been. I just happened to notice that the bases didn't attach correctly but again they would have caused nearly the exact problem the OP describes. For the record I wouldn't count on Savage finding the problem if it is misaligned scope mounts. They will stick the gun in a vise and fire 5 rounds at a target and if they form a good group they will declare there is no problem. They won't check for bad base alignment most likely. I wouldn't be too quick to toss out a nice rifle though. I'd want to know if it will group. From there it's almost always possible to fix any problems. It may not be easy but you may end up with a rifle that shoots groups like this one. This is my MkII with the messed up base alignment. I have a 12 also BTW and it is perfectly aligned. But I would have missed this kind of shooting if I had given up easy. This isn't typical of course but I have shot a bunch of great groups with that rifle. Anyway here's my MkIIBTV's best group. It's only 4 shots because I ran out of ammo.

http://www.a-framevideo.com/4%20good%20shots%20from%20the%20Savage%20measured. jpg

bush boy
11-01-2015, 08:02 PM
hi, thanks for all the replys the stock mounts were tight and barrel floating, i will look in to the mounting alinement when i get the rifle back thinking that i will set it up on the machine tool table with bases and rings and checking bar and dial gauge to see if this the problum cheers, bush boy

robxcr
11-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Friend of mine had same issue with a 223 savage. Ended up measuring the crown, hole was not in the middle. You are right, once you manage to get it on target, you cannot even see the target through the barrel, even with scope pointing right on target. Savage is having his gun repaired.

frank1947
11-25-2015, 10:01 PM
First of all you don't put crosshair on the center of target, you take bolt out first look down and alighn it to center of target then being very still bring cross hair to center
, you have to alighn scope to barrel not barrel to scope