PDA

View Full Version : Chassis or Boyd's?

MasterOfPupets
10-29-2015, 10:21 PM
So, I'm looking to update the stock on my 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd like to transition to something that takes AI mags instead of the stock mag while I'm doing it (I'd need bottom metal anyways since it's a Trophy Hunter) and once I started looking at my options I sort of started to think that a chassis and full Boyd's setup are going to be similar in price but alot less work. Really, there are 3 possibilities I'm looking at.

1) Boyds Pro-Varment with CDI Bottom Metal - $450 plus the extra work of properly bedding everything. No adjustable LOP available.

2) KRG 180-Alpha- $778. Haven't seen many reviews of this yet, but the Whiskey-3 and X-Ray get great reviews.

3) XLR Element w/ Tactical Stock- $685. Good reviews, fully adjustable stock. Pay a slight premium for the bottom bolt release.

When I type it out it doesn't seam that close in price, but their are 2 things that make me hesitate the Boyd's. First, having to bed everything myself, and second, having the barrel channel not be large enough when I decide to replace the barrel with something a larger contour.

I guess I'm really just trying to decide if the difference in cost is really justified. Buy once Cry once type stuff. Any opinnions anyone would like to share?

Kadams1563
10-29-2015, 10:30 PM
I like the XLR the most. I have no real experience yet but from what I have read it is a really good system. I ordered one last week and should be here this coming up week.

hafejd30
10-29-2015, 10:41 PM
I have 3 chasis. 2 Mcree and 1 savage ba. The chasis are no bs ready to work setups. You can customize grips, add nv mounts/rails if you desire. Reading your post tells me your set one way already, chasis. I think that's the way to go and you will not be disappointed.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p695/hafejd30/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2szsrey.jpg (http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/hafejd30/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2szsrey.jpg.html)

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p695/hafejd30/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnxybfpwb.jpg (http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/hafejd30/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnxybfpwb.jpg.html)

LoneWolf
10-29-2015, 10:55 PM
The boyds stock isn't even close to the same class as the chassis's. Once you get them tuned and adjusted its hard to beat. I've been running and XLR Element in competition for almost a year now and really enjoy it. The folding adapter was a great investment as well. I think the MCree is a bit heavier in the end.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/b249e8e036535777b2006a6400fd432b.jpg

hafejd30
10-29-2015, 11:03 PM
I'll second the folding adapter. For cleaning and measuring oal etc. Worth the money. And as lonewolf stated the Mcree is a bit heavier. No matter what brand you choose the chasis are hard to beat

psharon97
10-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Many different kinds of stocks and all have advantages. Boyds has always IMO been a DIY project. Granted they look great when done properly, but it can take some work. These stocks are usually in stock, meaning, you don't have a long period where you are waiting on your stock.

Most choate stocks are going to be completely drop in. They don't look nice, but they work. My UV stock from choate really has no frills about it when I bought it 6+ years ago. Most stocks in this price range are going to be superbly stiff at the forend, so you won't have to worry about flex. Most stocks in this price range are going to be great stocks. Weight will be ~4 pounds.

The next stock 'category' will be your custom stocks. These stocks are like the ones built from SSS, Stockade, McMillan, or Manners stocks. These are great stocks that can be built to your specs. They look great and fit and finish superior to boyds. These will cost about the same if not more than a chasis. Some of these stocks will have to be sent off to someone else if you want a DBM system.

Lastly, there's chasis systems. I'm still warming up to them. My 260 build, I went with the LSS stock from mdttac. It's very similar to the XLR element chasis. You choose your ar-15 stock and grip and go from there. With these types of stocks, the adjustments are great. Another plus is the wait time. My LSS chasis took a 10 days to get to my door. These chasis already are setup for the AICS magazines.

What you plan on doing with the rifle will determine what kind of stock you want. How much patience you have will determine the brand you go with.

MasterOfPupets
10-30-2015, 08:39 AM
In all honesty, I posted this here hoping some people would try and talk me out of the chassis and give me a good reason to go with the boyds... guess that isn't happening. I haven't looked at the mccree chassis system yet. I'll check that one out too

Kadams1563
10-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Lol people usually never talk you into the cheaper option unless it's plain overboard of what you need.

LoneWolf
10-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Using higher quality gear only provides more confidence in your system. The more questions you remove from your system the more you can focus on shooting it.

clintsrv
10-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Using higher quality gear only provides more confidence in your system. The more questions you remove from your system the more you can focus on shooting it.

100%

LongRange
10-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Lol people usually never talk you into the cheaper option unless it's plain overboard of what you need.

is there such a thing as over board lol

johnnyav
10-30-2015, 10:50 AM
You can't beat the chassis.....but if money is a factor, I have the pro varmint properly bedded with pillars and I am very happy with it.....

Newsshooter
11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
I also have two Mcree's, nice chassis and probably the least costly on the market, owner is a nice guy too. :) I bought both of mine, and a third for a friend, used, never paid more than $450 and two of them were folders. :) The XLR's are lighter and also very popular.

SAGE RAT DELETER
11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Some like the warmth and look of wood...some like the machinability/stability/wildness look of metal...let your pocket book and your feelings decide as to which and what brand...they ALL basically do the same thing argumentatively speaking.

Everyone likes their individual toys...I like the feel of wood and the stability of metal so most of my stocks are wood, then I machine an alum bedding block and a pocket in the stock and epoxy them together. I've made aluminum only stocks in the past, alum barrel holding blocks for benchrest use and alum bedding blocks attached to wood/alum stocks...simple things because my machines are manual and I'm not all that artsy-craftsy...they shot only as good as the ammo and my abilities...didn't make much difference between metal and wood...but I DO like the ease and "playability" of the metal modular designs...hang on all the geegaw's you want or desire and be proud...I'm just too cheap for all that...and I like simplicity.

I made an alum "modular" stock last year for a 220 Swift...AR collapsible stock, 3/16" flat wall plates, receiver mount block slightly wider than the receiver, ~1.45", that butted up against the recoil lug and was thick enough to leave a section thick enough to drill a 1/2" hole for a rod for the bipod and that's it...had to hold it by the scope, all the weight was forward and it liked to tip up on the barrel...

Yeah...TOTAL NIGHTMARE...but looked MEAN...I didn't skeletonize the walls or the mount block, if I had of I would have saved a bit of weight...it was as close to minimal as I could make it without totally going nutz. It shot great but still, because of the barrel contour, weighed 9.6#...the rifle installed in the OEM Tupperware Savage stock weighed about a pound more. At least the Tupperware stock had something besides the scope to grab onto.

That whole mess was taken apart, put in the scrap alum pile and the stock in the pieces and parts drawer...hardly enough alum to save for other projects...hahahahaha :(

Lone Wolf rig just gave me some ideas...I like his grip and forend/bipod setup...I might think about a "do over" this winter...now I will have two projects to play with.

Anyway...make your pick and go enjoy it. :cool: