PDA

View Full Version : Need to change out bottom metal

mugsie
10-29-2015, 07:20 PM
I have a few rifles I've built on Savage actions, three on short actions and one on a LA. All have DBM's. I would like to take the .308, which is built on a manners stock, and replace the factory DBM with a 10 round magazine. I understand there are several different types of bottom metal I can choose from: CDI, PT&G, and AICS if I understand it correctly. This action has the latest receiver screw spacing - if I remember correctly - 4.4" I believe. It is also not a large shank barrel but rather a Shilen Varmint contour.

So, my questions are several.
1) what are the advantages / disadvantages of each?
2) what do the majority of people recommend - and why?
3) if I need inletting - who does it?

Any other information you can give me would be appreciated.
Thank you....

jpdown
10-29-2015, 08:04 PM
If you currently have the Savage DBM metal frame assembly, I would just order a Savage 10-round magazine from DarkEagle Custom http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/magazines.php.

greyghost
10-29-2015, 11:01 PM
I used accurate mag it fit like a glove in my accu stock, will take aics, accurate mag, ruger scout accurate mag and when magpul gets around to it they are producing a 5 and 10 round mag also that will fit. Good luck

WinnieTheBoom
10-30-2015, 02:07 AM
If you currently have the Savage DBM metal frame assembly, I would just order a Savage 10-round magazine from DarkEagle Custom http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/magazines.php.

jp, you wouldn't happen to know what the internal length of the DE mags are, would you? Just curious how long I'd be able to seat bullets with these mags.

blfuller
11-01-2015, 05:35 PM
jp, you wouldn't happen to know what the internal length of the DE mags are, would you? Just curious how long I'd be able to seat bullets with these mags.

The Dark Eagle mags use an aluminum box and the factory top metal feed lips. So if you stay with what works with a factory Savage DBM mag the Dark Eagle mag will work fine.

jpdown
11-01-2015, 08:05 PM
DarkEagle Custom Savage 10-rd mags use the standard Savage OEM mag box fitted to a custom made metal bottom, spring and follower. So the SA mag length is 3.0".

WinnieTheBoom
11-02-2015, 09:04 AM
DarkEagle Custom Savage 10-rd mags use the standard Savage OEM mag box fitted to a custom made metal bottom, spring and follower. So the SA mag length is 3.0".

I was meaning internal length as I was concerned about seating depth on a 300 WSM, but as you said it should be right at 3.00", maybe 2.95".

jpdown
11-02-2015, 10:55 AM
The 3.00" is the internal mag length measurement.

mugsie
11-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'll be contacting DE tomorrow and ordering a couple of 10 round mags, and yes, they're all built on a savage DBM receiver.
Stay well people....

Kadams1563
11-03-2015, 03:25 AM
Dang. I though AI mags were expensive.