PDA

View Full Version : Bolt locked up HELP!!!

foxx
10-29-2015, 03:16 PM
my hunting rifle is locked up. I see no solution.

The pin that the firing pin runs thru and keeps the bolt head and front baffle in place has broken, I'm thinking. It is sticking out the side of the bolt body and hanging-up inside the action. It can't turn to cock or remove the bolt. I removed the BAS hoping I might be able to disassemble it, but the bolt handle can't move enough to come off the rear of the assembly.

I have no idea what to do.

PLEASE, anyone????

foxx
10-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Nevermind.

I was right. That pin broke. Just got lucky and it fell apart and so I was able to remove it.

THings are looking up!

yobuck
10-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Would removing the barrel have helped had the gods not smiled upon you?

foxx
10-29-2015, 06:36 PM
No, I don't think so. That was next, though. I don't think it would have given me access to it.

When I removed the BAS, the firing pin's tension against the broken piece was relieved so it just fell out like I would have expected originally.

Bolthead
10-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Any idea why it broke? I have seen this problem mentioned before. It is my understanding that the newer pins have a smaller diameter hole and a smaller diameter firing pin to fit through it. Wondering if this is something that perhaps requires a bit more attention or periodic replacement. I don't see it as too much of a safety issue unless it happens to trap the firing in in the extended position and lites off the next chambered round. Thoughts anybody?

243LPR
10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
I have been told dry firing is the culprit in this case. I had one break too and didn't know why. I guess w/o the primer to stop forward movement the firing pin taper beats up the bolt head pin thinning it over time.

foxx
10-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I do a lot of dry firing, and it is an old used rifle. It is also the older version with the larger hole. I doubt the newer ones will have this problem. Funny thing is I had packed it for deer camp with no intentions of playing with it any more until opening day. I pulled it out to show off to a buddy and it was already broken. I am sure glad I did, or opening day would have been a bit of a disappointment. Just another reason I always take two rifles on my hunting trips.

Bolthead
10-31-2015, 04:53 PM
When did Savage change from the old to new style? My 111 is early 70s, so I guess I need to check it. Does anyone have the specs on the pin and hole diameters?

foxx
10-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Yours is probably a large hole. The firing pin is also larger. Hence, the larger hole to accommodate it.

I don't think it's worth changing firing pin and the other pin just to avoid breaking it. But you can order a replacement from Midway just so you have one if it does break. Here is the larger holed one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/616945/savage-arms-bolt-head-retaining-pin-large-hole-150?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Bolthead
10-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks foxx. I'll pay more attention to that area next time I have the bolt apart. Good to know the old style is still available. Doesn't hurt to have a spare.

orcldba
11-01-2015, 10:58 PM
From the sounds of it I'll need both sizes... Kind of a pain, but then there are even more "unique" parts in the 98 actions... Unique and not compatible..
Problem is that intend to dry fire a lot, especially when working triggers and stocks...
:cool:

243LPR
12-10-2015, 10:53 PM
That's what snap caps are for. Or just use an old fired case w/primer,something to stop the forward movement of the fp.