PDA

View Full Version : Bolt differences (porblems?) Between 110 and 111

Garrick_
09-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Hello!

Tnight i bought a savage 111c and brought it home to clean and stare at untill tomarrow when i can shoot it...

I found some differences in the new bolt compared to my old one. See attached pictures below.

Cosmeticly the new 111 has a much darker and glossier than the finish than my 110. Which finish is better?

The biggest difference is the diameter of the bolt near the handle (Red Arrow). Why is this smaller? what is ther purpose?

Next is the peice in front of the handle (green arrow) moves more freely than my old one. My old one feels like a perfect tight fit. Moves freely with no slop whatso ever. The new one appears to have a small amount of slop in it. Is this a issue? is this normal?

This is the Pin near the face (blue arrow) on my old bolt the pin is flush to the surface, the new one seams to be sticking out a tiny bit. Not enough to rub during action, so this may not be an issue, but wanted to be sure.

And lastly, are these bolts interchangable? They are both .270 win, just one is a 110 and one is a 111. And is one of these bolts a better bolt than the other?

Thanks in advance!

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/Garrick_/sacagebolts2.jpg?t=1253330611

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/Garrick_/sacagebolts.jpg?t=1253330673

82boy
09-19-2009, 01:34 PM
There is no problems with your bolts, what you have is the evolution of Savage rifles. Most of the changes were done for cost savings reasons.

Savage has changed their polishing procedures/finishing processes, this explains the finish difference. The now place them in a vibratory polishing machine.

The diameter of the bolt body, was to simplify having two bolt bodies, one for left handed action and one fro right handed actions. By undercutting the bolt body, now they only need one bolt body, and just flip it for left and right handed models.It will work in the older actions. With this change there was some internal changes as well. The cocking knob, firing pin, and some other parts are different, mostly for the new process in the bolt body.

The rear bolt baffle, ( What you have marked with the green/yellow arrow) is fine some are tighter than others, I prefer them to be loose, because it helps a teeny tiny big on cocking force needed to open the bolt.

The ejector pin holds the ejector in place, It cost more money for them to finish them flush, especially since ( as you have noted) has no affect on function.

Yes the bolt are completely interchangeable, with consideration to head space. The barrel needs to be head spaced to the bolt. Each bolt is different.

Garrick_
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info!

=)

Lead Poison
09-19-2009, 10:25 PM
The smoother gloss blue finish is MUCH better!