PDA

View Full Version : Fine Layer of Walnut Media

Pages : [1] 2

Fotheringill
10-26-2015, 09:39 AM
I just started to set up for reloading.
I tumbled about 100 rounds of 223. I used the Lyman Tufstuf walnut media. Outsides are great but looking into the mouths of the shells, I see a fine layer of media colored dust inside the neck. Is this normal? Does the entire inside of the casing need to be swabbed out? Is there another product that does not leave this dusty layer inside?

Any information would be helpful.

rjtfroggy
10-26-2015, 10:06 AM
That is what the inside case brushes are for. Brush, Tap(to empty), load.

Fotheringill
10-26-2015, 10:27 AM
I am quite the dummy.
Thank you.

rjtfroggy
10-26-2015, 10:32 AM
I am quite the dummy.
Thank you

By no means. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-26-2015, 02:19 PM
You might be better off switching to "corn cobb". Cleans better and no fine dust leftover. Also, drop a used dryer softener sheet in the tumbler with your brass. Picks up the fine dust. When it gets dirty, throw it out and add another one.

wbm
10-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Any particular reason you are tumbling brass?

BW64
10-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Corncob is a little better but I just blow them all out with an air hose. :)

BW

Fotheringill
10-26-2015, 09:30 PM
wbm-

I read it is easier to spot any imperfections with polished brass.

Mikie- That will be used in my next tumble.

sixonetonoffun
10-26-2015, 09:49 PM
I have gotten way too into the clean brass thing.

Deprime
Tumble wet ss pins, citric acid, carnuba wash n shine.
Dry
Anneal
F/l size
Citric acid hot bath to remove lube and passivate brass
Dry
Dry tumble
Blow clean
Wipe to nice shine with flannel clothe
Neck size
Prime and load.

olddav
10-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Stupid me, I just wash and dry them after tumbling.

DrThunder88
10-27-2015, 02:16 AM
I use untreated, walnut lizard litter and, for the most part, don't worry about dust inside. I mean, I'm sure it's still there, but it's part of the load.

There one bag of the stuff that was so dusty I threw in a dryer sheet to pick up the fine particles. Given how dirty those sheets were when they came out, they must have done something.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-27-2015, 09:49 AM
If any of you use the SS pin treatment, it's best to NOT use it every time. Maybe every third or fourth run will work best. Did a batch of 7.62/.308, maybe 200 or so and found brass "gold dust" around the edge of the drum.
The SS pins will wear so go easy. I like the looks of the finished product but am aware of the wear from the pins so I keep that in mind when I use it.

Fotheringill
10-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Lyman FAQ's for the product states to not worry about the walnut colored dust on the inside of the neck. It doesn't sound right to me.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
"If you have an air compreesor" a good blast will get rid of the dust. After resizing all my brass, they get a hot soapy water treatment. Shake out the excess water then into a warm oven to dry them out. Extra steps? Yes, and another chance to inspect the brass for defects or potential problems. Better to see/find any before you add powder, primer and bullets.
??? You using "treated" walnut? I quit using anything "treated" because of the dust. The dryer sheets catches most of the dust.

LoneWolf
10-28-2015, 09:43 AM
I've been using the same product without issue. I deprime, tumble, neck size, trim if needed, prime and load.

You won't see a difference whether you further clean them or not. Nothing to worry about.

orcldba
10-28-2015, 07:04 PM
I buy "Lizard Litter" crom Petsmart too. Add 4oz of rouge per 5# of litter, and tumble for 1-1-2 hours, then add a capful of nupolish for 30 minutes.
I use the old dryer sheets that my better half has "used up", and anneal every 2nd reload.

Red rouge is great, but you have to be careful how much you use.

Iowa Fox
10-28-2015, 09:11 PM
I've pretty much ceased tumbling my brass. It's too much work and puts nicks on the end of the necks. I tumbled for a lot of years before I saw the light. Now I deprime, wash in hot water with dish soap, rinse in clear water, shake out and set out to dry. Never in an oven. Sometimes I use a little Lemi Shine if the cases as dingy looking, makes them almost as shinny as tumbling. After the cases have soaked a while I take a Q-tip and give each primer pocket a twist to get the pockets clean. I might still tumble some but not the stuff heading for a match.

wbm
10-29-2015, 11:31 AM
I've pretty much ceased tumbling my brass.

I ceased after reading a lot about the lack of real benefits relative to accuracy. It does make nice shiny, smooth brass for nice shiny, smooth dies though. That would be a benefit.

Fotheringill
10-30-2015, 11:03 AM
I am going to a pet store over the weekend and pick up a bit of the stuff sold there. I thank you for all of your input.

The other night-

Me: Can you start giving me the used dryer sheets?
Wife: When was the last time you either washed or dried a load or cleaned out a lint trap or emptied the small wastebasket near the washer?
Me: Errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm.
Wife: We have been in this house since 1999. Either before, during, or after that year, you might have noticed I, and I stress "I", use a liquid instead of the dryer sheets. I suggest you start ringing on neighbors' doorbells asking for used dryer sheets, that is, unless you believe that will make them think you are a very strange man.

I will have to pass on the dryer sheets.

orcldba
10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Heck, buy a small box of the cheap ones and keep it in the loading room. That way your "better-half" can borrow some when she runs out of liquid...