PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Savage model 25 in 223 missfires

gary1940
10-25-2015, 06:10 PM
New first 100 rounds about 20 missfires tryed the round in another Rifle they worked fine Sent an e-mail to savage no reply Help

Doc7
10-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Call their CS you talk to a real person within a few moments.

I have had excellent experiences when a mfr repair was required on firearms.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Sounds like a headspace (ammo) issue. New brass being too short for the chamber and being pushed forward by the firing pin. (missfire) Good indication is the fact that they fire in another rig??
If you're rolling your own, size the neck, prime and reload without pushing the shoulder back.

minnesotamulisha
10-28-2015, 12:24 PM
I second the head space notion.

albee
11-22-2015, 08:21 PM
I have the same rifle as you and took it to the range for the first time today. I had a similar result (10/100 misfires). The symptom on the misfires was a light strike showing on the cartridge primer; the successful fires show a deeper, "normal-looking" firing pin strike. I met a guy at the range with a new Savage 12 in .223 Rem. He told me he had the same problem the first time he used his rifle (he had a 50% misfire rate). He looked into it on the Internet and one solution was to clean the bolt with Brake Cleaner and give it a light lube. He said that seems to have fixed the issue as he had no misfires since doing that.

I just finished flushing my Savage 25 bolt with Brake Cleaner (black gunk came out), and used some Remington Dry Lube on the bolt, getting it into the firing pin shaft. Now the firing pin releases with a lot more authority. I won't be able to test it out live right away, but I think that's what the problem was. I compared the successful firing pin strikes with the Savage 25 to those from my other .223 rifle, and the strike depth appears to be similar, so at this point I don't think it's anything to do with the firing pin adjustment.

UPDATE 04DEC2015 - I went to the range after the bolt-cleaning, and had a 1/60 misfire result. The one misfire occurred around shot #40. I did notice that towards the end of the shoot that the bolt was getting a bit rough, which I suspect might have something to do with the Dry Lube wearing off.

UPDATE 14DEC2015 - I went to the range yesterday and had no misfires (0/60 shots). After the previous range session I cleaned the bolt again with brake cleaner but used regular gun oil instead of the Dry Lube. An unrelated but interesting thing is that I also epoxy bedded the Model 25 and improved my best shot grouping from 1.25" to 1/2" at 100 meters. In factory configuration there is precious little material to absorb the recoil - just the two round "pillars" that fasten the receiver to the stock. I made sure the epoxy isolated all metal from the wood stock, and that the pillars had next-to-zero slop.