PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Barrels

rjtfroggy
10-25-2015, 08:42 AM
For all of you wondering about Criterion barrel quality.
I shot my last short range BR match yesterday and shot the best score to date(4th season) using a barrel that went over 1300 rounds during the match. This is a 243 match barrel polished SS 26" 1:8 twist shooting 105gr. Bergers at 2890 fps. I thought this barrel was done but the new 6br isn't here yet so I had to use it, now I am not so sure, it is getting bore scoped next week and if still relatively good it will be re chambered to 6br.
For those who care I shot a 247 out of 250 at 100 as stated my best to date. If I wasn't so thick headed I would have clicked up 2 clicks and shot a possible 249 after I dropped a point on the 3rd relay.
So in my opinion Criterion are good to go when matched and tested for the bullet and powder you want to use.

wbm
10-25-2015, 10:05 AM
All the Criterion barrels I have had have been as good or better than any I have used...including PacNor, Shilen, McGowen, etc.

RyanG
10-25-2015, 10:38 AM
I have to agree 100%. I just finished putting a 28" bull barrel on a buddies 243 yesterday. He wanted to be able to out shoot another buddy who just picked up on of the Ruger Precision Rifles in 243. Well long story short we went out yesterday with the CBI and put the first rounds through it. We were shooting Berger 95's and I had loaded up several loads using IMR 4350 and IMR 4064. Well the worst group we got was .67 and that was with the 4350. I really didnt have any faith in the 4064 but I shot em just to make my buddy happy. So I shoot my first round and its at the 5 oclock position on the little red target dot. Shoot my second round and my buddy says "You missed the whole **** target" Then the third round went with the first two.... for a group of .191!!!!! My best ever group. We still had two different loads to try and again I didnt have any faith.... But the second group was .132"...... So now I am getting a little worked up because I have just shot two of the best groups of my entire life.... Last group of three..... We made a few scope adjustments, cause he wanted to see bulls eye hits... First 2 rounds are through dead center bull into one hole, a group that was smoking the first two groups.... and yep you guessed it.... I chocked the last shot and finished the group for .5"

Huge shout out to CBI barrels and Jim at Northland.......

Ryan

DrThunder88
10-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Good shooting too!

Iowa Fox
10-25-2015, 06:04 PM
I sure hope they are good shooters. I ordered one from Jim middle of last month, should be here right after the first of the year if everything goes ok. Then to index it and send it out for a brake. Barreled action should be done in February but still have lots of other parts to buy.

Kadams1563
10-25-2015, 06:11 PM
I sure hope they are good shooters. I ordered one from Jim middle of last month, should be here right after the first of the year if everything goes ok. Then to index it and send it out for a brake. Barreled action should be done in February but still have lots of other parts to buy.
What did you get from him

Iowa Fox
10-25-2015, 07:36 PM
I ordered a 15 1/4" light varmint tapper, in 243 Win match chamber- 11 deg crown - 1 in 7.5 twist threaded for brake for a new undesignated target action that I have. Finding the stock I'm looking for is giving me fits. If I can't find anything I might have to hacksaw a Choate varmint stock. Holding the weight down for the MOA shoot is going to be challenging.

LongRange
10-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Man thats going to give off some ear ringing sound at 15 1/4" with a break...might want to get a draw string for your hat too lol.

Iowa Fox
10-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Man thats going to give off some ear ringing sound at 15 1/4" with a break...might want to get a draw string for your hat too lol.

I'm used to it. Being on the firing line and or spotting for some of the guys shooting the 7 Dakota, 7 LRM, 7 SAUM, 7 Leopard in Specialty Pistols will rattle your body. Even with plugs and muffs its like climbing in the ring with a prize fighter. Plus the rifle scopes put you close to the muzzle.

LongRange
10-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah i can imagine shooting a high pressue pistol with a break would rock you.

CriterionBarrels
10-27-2015, 04:59 PM
For all of you wondering about Criterion barrel quality.
I shot my last short range BR match yesterday and shot the best score to date(4th season) using a barrel that went over 1300 rounds during the match. This is a 243 match barrel polished SS 26" 1:8 twist shooting 105gr. Bergers at 2890 fps. I thought this barrel was done but the new 6br isn't here yet so I had to use it, now I am not so sure, it is getting bore scoped next week and if still relatively good it will be re chambered to 6br.
For those who care I shot a 247 out of 250 at 100 as stated my best to date. If I wasn't so thick headed I would have clicked up 2 clicks and shot a possible 249 after I dropped a point on the 3rd relay.
So in my opinion Criterion are good to go when matched and tested for the bullet and powder you want to use.

I'm glad to hear your barrel is doing its job!

Do you have any photos of the finished build?

rjtfroggy
10-28-2015, 06:57 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?27718-New-br-rifle

Not the best pics but it does shoot. About to have the barrel scoped to see what is left to it.

barrel-nut
10-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Very nice and congratulations on some good shooting rjt. What stock are you using?

barrel-nut
10-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Sorry, just scrolled through to the end and saw your parts list. Very nice!

Iowa Fox
10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting your pics and parts list with prices. Scary to see the total as I know I'll have a little more in mine. If the criterion guys are still here I hope you bless my barrel with a rabbits foot before you put it in the box for shipment.

CriterionBarrels
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a rabbit's foot on hand, but I'll be sure to bless it with a nice spray of rust preventative to make sure she arrives at your doorstep with a nice surface finish!