PDA

View Full Version : Went and done it

McKinneyMike
06-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I said I would never own a 223, but low and behold, I won one on GunBroker. VLP 223, SS, 26" w/flutes. The sad part is that I waiting for parts for my latest build still :) And now another scope to buy. Hello my name is Mike and I am a Savageholic....... I justified it as needing a cheaper rifle to shoot more often. Oh the denial of it all. ;)

06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, if you "WON" it on gunbroker it didn't cost you any thing........right? ;D

Never hurts to have a free rifle! ;)

pdog06
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Hello my name is Mike and I am a Savageholic.......

Hey, thats my line! :D

Congrats on the vlp. Now if you can leave it all original will be the real telling tale as to how bad of an illness you have ;).

McKinneyMike
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Hello my name is Mike and I am a Savageholic.......

Hey, thats my line! :D

Congrats on the vlp. Now if you can leave it all original will be the real telling tale as to how bad of an illness you have ;).

Hell I have to for now! I have to finish the newest build, buy two new scopes, bases and rings, cleaning rods, dies, bullets, etc. I just hope it shoots well now :) Not free but not to bad on price at $540.00 plus $25.00 shipping. I bid on a whim, never expecting that I would get it this cheaply. that will teach me to think :)

Blue Avenger
06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
you could turn it into a .222 mag ai, then you would not have a .223

McKinneyMike
06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Well the thought of a 223AI had crossed my mind :) Down the road somewhere................

dcloco
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I justified it as needing a cheaper rifle to shoot more often. Oh the denial of it all. ;)

Ah...yes...I see you are using AND quoting directly from the "Brother of the Nut" book. Your studies are progressing well....grasshopper.

Side note....this is NOT the same reason as "...but it was on sale". :)

AVanGorder
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I said I would never own a 223.....

Everyone should have at least one 223.

Adrian

McKinneyMike
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Well I fought it for most of my life, but I decided, what the heck. I am trying to do my part to fuel this economic slowdown. Still need scopes, dies, bullets, brass, etc. Looks like PB&J lunches for the foreseeable future :)

King Ghidora
06-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I know that feeling. My Savage 12 .223 is still waiting for a really good scope. I have one picked out and I'm going to sell some stuff to get it. I can get by another 6 months on those tires I'm sure. ::) I've been trying to get to the range where a gun already said he wanted the ammo but I have been too busy. It's only a Weaver 36X but that's about the lowest level of a truly decent scope around. I'd like to spend a LOT more money on a scope but I need to make my car payments. They're funny about stuff like that. They actually expect me to make those payments. They just don't understand. ;D

McKinneyMike
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Picked up my VLP from the FFL this evening. I am impressed with this new rifle to say the least. The color of the stock seems to be a little redder in color than the standard brown color of the laminated Savages that I am used to seeing and I like it. Bought a used Farrell picatinnay base on Ebay yesterday and now to find some new rings and glass for the rifle. Wanting to hold out for one of the new Vortex Viper PST's, but might just go with a standard Viper for this rifle and hold off on the Viper PST for my new build. I think that a 6.5-20X50 Viper would be a nice scope for this rifle. Anyway got to get something ASAP to see how she shoots. I still can't believe that I bought a 223 :) I spent the better part of my life looking down on the 223 for some unknown reason. I guess I always thought of it as not worthy for some odd reason. Anyway I will give it a fair chance to change my mind soon I hope :) I think that I will like it though.