PDA

View Full Version : I saw a bolt lug lapping jig at Brownells...why would you do that to a Savage?

AbitNutz
10-25-2015, 08:25 AM
I'm slightly at a loss...situation normal...I saw a bolt lug lapping jig at Brownells. Why would that be needed for a floating bolt head? Is this something I have overlooked to mess with?

DrThunder88
10-25-2015, 01:28 PM
There may be some benefit to squaring the bolt lug bearing surfaces in the receiver to the bore axis, but I would think a lathe would be a better tool for that.

Davehafelein
11-01-2015, 07:09 PM
What problem are you trying to fix?

It has been my experience that many aftermarket tools, parts, etc., are the solution to the manufacturers problem (i.e. how to make $$). Occasionally, the parts and tools might actually solve one of your problems.

Next, you have to ask yourself if the aforementioned tool will actually improve the situation or possibly make it worse.

packmule
11-01-2015, 11:08 PM
You are correct about Savage floating bolt heads not needing lapped because they float. The floating head makes sure the lugs have even contact but it also has a downside. One of the things that makes a rifle more accurate is to square the bolt face to the boar. That's what you do to a solid bolt but with the floating head the relation of the bolt face to the boar is determined by what the lugs lock into in the action so lapping lugs a waste of time. At least that's how I understand things.