View Full Version : An article explaining why deer can see you so easily

scope eye
10-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Good article

https://www.qdma.com/articles/deer-can-see-you-even-when-theyre-eating

Dean

scooterf79
10-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks for posting that Deano, good article. I knew they had the wide field of view with the eye placement. I had no idea about the rotation of the each eye. Very interesting. No I just gotta hope for blind deer with no noses!
Scooter

35Whelenshooter
10-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Nice FYI Deano, thanks

big honkin jeep
10-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Double post

big honkin jeep
10-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Field of view and vision are 2 different things.
I'm convinced from my experiences that if you don't move they might as well be blind.
I've had several single deer as well as a couple of small herds at less than 10 yards on several occasions looking right at me leaned against a tree on the ground with my stainless and black 116 across my lap and orange vest on.
They didn't recognize me as anything more than possibly an unusual shape at the base of a tree. Pretty sure they smelled me once they got that close and started blowing and stomping. As long as I don't move they do go on alert but don't freak out and run, they just wander off.
That being said I've had em spook and run from a green field when I was in a box blind and the only thing they could have given me away was poorly timed movement of a muzzle coming out a window.
Still a good article on their peripheral vision

psharon97
10-26-2015, 09:09 AM
We're all hunting wrong. We need to slow our bullets down to 55 mph and put headlights on them. The deer will run to get shot lol.

Nandy
11-12-2015, 11:14 AM
We're all hunting wrong. We need to slow our bullets down to 55 mph and put headlights on them. The deer will run to get shot lol.

I'm the living proof of that. see no deer on the field then hit one on the way home. I didn't kill it and it just broke the bumper cover on my beat up Nissan.