PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Savage in Nevada

schnyd112
10-23-2015, 05:34 PM
I have always been a Remington guy, then I started shooting competitions in April. There are more guys on the line that I shoot with shooting savage than anything else. I am now looking at buying one myself. I currently shoot a rem 700 in .220 swift that will shortly be .260 AI. I am looking at a companion gun (same chamber) to this which I can more easily experiment with. Experimenting with both freebore and barrel length is my goal along with trying to find a compromise between weight, stability, and ease of carry. I am a big game hunter, when I draw tags, but as with my swift I really enjoy coyote and varmint hunting. Need to take advantage of all the wide open spaces we have in Nevada. I am also going to need a rifle to fill the void while the rem is away and I am pretty much sold on a Savage.

I hope to find good information here. My previous lurking shows there are some very knowledgeable people here that are plenty willing to help, and jab when need be.

drybean
10-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Welcome aboard

Rick_W
10-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Welcome

LongRange
10-24-2015, 09:43 AM
I know you because your the only guy shooting a swift in Nevada LOL...pay the $15 bucks so you can see the rest of the site...that's where the good stuff is.
are you going to make the November varmint match? this is Dave BTW.

schnyd112
10-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes I will be there. I ordered a bunch of lapua brass so I am going to make some dummy rounds to see if it is even worth trying to keep at mag length. If my numbers are right, to keep at mag length I will loose almost 6% case capacity. If that is the case I may have to change specs on the reamer a little and turn my short action into a single shot.

LongRange
10-24-2015, 10:02 PM
What mags are you running?

schnyd112
10-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Not running magazines, just a rem hinged floor plate. So I would need to stay at about 2.85" to get them to feed right. I am actually thinking about a savage 110 action so I can run DBM without much constraint. I feel I can get about 3.2" and still feed but that's a whole other story. Thinking about making the rem a single shot, and then having a long action savage that can run AICS magazines, but haven't read enough about the latter yet.

LongRange
10-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Thats what the rifle i shot last match is...long action with aics mag...the mag is a little long but it will feed just not fast

Hotolds442
10-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Welcome!

ragsflh
11-05-2015, 06:38 AM
howdy