PDA

View Full Version : I am not a collector, so need your help

Jay24bal
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Hello All -

Every year at renewal, I update the rider on my homeowners policy to account for new large, personal property items we have bought in the last year, to include guns. My insurance company does not require appraisals on any of my guns as nothing is super rare or high val​ue, but I do have a question on one of my new acquisitions.

My wife's grandfather gave me a Belgian made, Browning Hi Power Safari Grade rifle several months ago, that has been in the family since it was bought new in 1959. It is a beautiful gun, in wonderful condition (90-95% easily). Now, it is rather easy for me to go on gunbroker or look in the blue book and get a value, and I have. But my question is this, this rifle is of very early production for this model with only a 3 digit serial number. In your opinion, would this fact add any value to the gun?

I am not a collector, so I have no idea if this is something collectors would place value on. I have zero intentions of ever selling the rifle, just want to make sure I have sufficiently insured it in case it is something with a higher monetary value, and figured I would see what y'all thought before paying a higher premium in case it would not add any value.

Thank you.

wbm
10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
One recently sold on a gun auction site for $1100. Year of manufacture was 1959. Caliber 30-06.

Jay24bal
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah, they seem to sell for between $1,000 and $1,300 in common calibers (and mine is a 30-06) with the rarer calibers going in the $1,300-$1,700 range. I just did not know if the three digit serial number had any appeal (increased value) to collectors for firearms in general, not necessarily Browning collectors or any specific niche collectors.

wbm
10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Lower number never hurts. Saw another one that was the Browning Hi Power "Olympic"....auctioned for 12K.