PDA

View Full Version : Target accutrigger

SlowTrigger
10-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Hi All, I've been having problems with my target accutrigger on my m12 F/TR. What is happening is that after making adjustments to lighten up the trigger a bit, the trigger seems to be getting lighter on its own and eventually gets to the point where the safety engages while trying to pull the trigger, or even locking the bolt forward. I had to bring the trigger weight up quite a bit in order to make it stop doing this. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and any recommendation on what can be done to fix it, if any?

Thanks in advance!

mudpig
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I haven't had this problem personally, but I've heard it a lot on the forums here. The way to fix it, is just as you mentioned. Add weight to the trigger. You didn't mention what pull weight you were at now, but I think some of the others where saying below 1.5# they were having problems. This I would think would be on the standard accutrigger and not the red bladed target accutrigger.

SlowTrigger
10-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reply mudpig. Last time I measured the trigger weight at the range it was around 5-6 oz. That might have been too light, but now, after adding some weight, it feels like I'm running it at about 1.0#, which is heavier than I want it. I'll keep working with it until I can get it to where I want it. If that doesn't work, I might have to consider a Timney (I have one on my Remington 700 MilSpec 5R and I've never had a problem with it).

mudpig
10-22-2015, 08:14 PM
You can try slowly working it back down and stop just above the point where you start having problems. New triggers from Timney are good, as I have used them in the past. I've heard that there are two different versions of the rifle basix triggers that work well and SSS also have a very highly recommended trigger.

SlowTrigger
10-22-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm going to work on it some tonight and I'll report back tomorrow.... Need to get it ready for my weekend range session!

mudpig
10-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Keep us posted on how it goes!

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/Triggers.html

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=savage+trigger&ksubmit=y

foxx
10-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Work on it, as you said.

However, don't think the TImney is a substitute for the Target Accutrigger. It is more of a hunting trigger.

The Rifle Basix Sav-2 might be the only aftermarket target trigger available for the low poundage you are seeking. Well, SSS Evolution trigger is also a good target trigger, but it requires SSS T&T job first.

SlowTrigger
10-23-2015, 12:20 PM
So I think I have it set where it is light enough but not so light that it trips the safety. The thing about these target triggers is that they are really good for factory triggers. Unfortunately if you're trying to go for sub 6oz pulls, it gets inconsistent. This may sound strange, but one thing that seems to have helped in getting the trigger set was to gently bump the butt stock on the carpet a couple of times. It must have made the spring settle in and it seems like now I'm not getting the inconsistent feel I was getting before.

foxx, I have a Timney on one of my other rifles and it definitely works as a target trigger. Maybe it won't go as low as the target accutrigger, but it is light enough.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the links, mudpig.