PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP Sighting questions

oomeragic
10-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Ok so i just got this gun on Thursday of last week. Went straight to the range that day a few hours later. It was supposedly bore sighted at the shop and all the fittings and what not were tightened down as well. I set up at 50 yards just to see how I'd do. 1st 3 rounds not even on paper. So I decided to step back and go down to 25 yards only to find that the rifle was several clicks low and a few clicks right. So i got that adjusted. moved up to 50 and kept honing it in. I didn't get to finish because it got dark outside so i left for the day. I went home and cleaned my rifle to perfection(lol i'm ocd when cleaning my firearms).

So we come to yesterday. I felt we were close enough at 50 that i could step to 100 and not have any issues. I set up and i was drastically right and slightly low. I moved the sight over and got it center. then i got it up. Now here's the problem. I have the rifle to where i can pop 2 in the bullseye on a "shoot n see" target and the 3rd round will usually go off about 4-5 inches for no apparent reason. Now if i throw anything other than the Hornady 168 grain it's almost as if I have to sight the rifle in all over... the shots are slightly to the right and a little low... is there any explanation for this or do I go back and have them replace the rifle?

Day 1 - i was using Federal 150 grain to sight it in
Sunday - I used Hornady A-Max 168 Grain

oomeragic
10-19-2015, 11:19 AM
is it a scope problem...a rifle problem... do i need to remove the scope and check the mount...any help would be appreciated fellas

wbm
10-22-2015, 12:28 PM
The rifle is a .308? What scope do you have on the rifle? Personally, at first I would pick one ammunition to go with for sighting in your rifle rather than switching between a 150gr and 168gr load....I would go with the 168 Amax.

Monkeymaster
10-22-2015, 08:50 PM
What caliber, is barrel hot for that third shot? Wood or synthetic stock, make sure barrel is free floated to da nut. Good luck

scooterf79
10-24-2015, 05:12 PM
The rifle is a .308? What scope do you have on the rifle? Personally, at first I would pick one ammunition to go with for sighting in your rifle rather than switching between a 150gr and 168gr load....I would go with the 168 Amax.

What he said. Very seldom will you find a rifle that shoots multiple loads at same POI.
Monkey is right as well. Free floating can make a big difference.
Scooter

oomeragic
11-04-2015, 12:57 PM
So here's the story. Savage sent me a new scope and I purchased some new rings. New scope comes and i take off the old one and the old rings. Come to find out that the mounts on the rifle were loose. Which was probably causing all of my issues to begin with. So, I removed the lugs holding the mounts down... put some blue LocTite on them and torqued them down. Then I proceeded to install the new rings and scope. The gun fires fine now. Using Winchester Deer Hunter XP 150Gr. I have about 1.25 inch groups at 100 yds. I'm thinking if i use a better hunting load that I can probably tighten that up to .5-.75 inch groups. If you guys have any hunting load suggestions any and all would be thoroughly appreciated.