PDA

View Full Version : Savage action weight for a build

Doc7
10-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Hello all,

My goal on my build for a 7mm-08 range and treestand whitetail rifle is 9 lbs, unloaded, scoped.

I will be using a Savage 11 FCNS action with the included metal trigger guard and detachable magazine well (bottom metal).

I will be using a Boyd's Heritage laminate stock which the website lists at 2 lbs 13 oz.

Additionally I have a 14 oz Vortex Viper scope and DNZ game reaper mount which I believe weighs around 6 oz.

Does anyone know the weight of the Savage action with receiver/bolt/trigger/detachable mag bottom metal?

I am at 4 lbs with the stock and scope, so however many lbs the above is will determine which contour barrel I buy from Pac-Nor with a custom 1-1.5" length shank.

Alternatively anyone with a field report on their rifle weight with a specific contour barrel and a Boyd's stock would help out a lot.

Thanks!

J.Baker
10-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Did a quick Google search and found a thread on Benchrest.com posted by milanuk stating the following:

The following is from one of my personal actions, weighed on a MyWeigh55 shipping scale:
10. RBLP Target action + trigger: 2.280 lbs
11. Trigger guard: 0.120 lbs
12. Barrel nut: 0.040 lbs
13. Recoil lug: 0.055 lbs

The trigger probably weighs about what the trigger guard does, just a guess.

Extrapolated weights:

14. Action + trigger + nut + lug: 2.375 lbs
15. F/TR barrel (barrel only): 6.865 lbs
16. Palma barrel (barrel only): 4.599 lbs

Gets you some of the data you're looking for, but not all.

Doc7
10-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I saw that thread as well before starting my own here but didn't know if the target action was much heavier than the standard 11.

J.Baker
10-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Target action will be slightly heavier due to the solid top.

Doc7
10-19-2015, 02:49 PM
So it sounds like if I want a 9 lb rifle in a Boyd's laminate stock I would have to go #1 contour for a Pacnor.

J.Baker
10-22-2015, 06:46 AM
My Axis .284 build weights in right at 10-lbs with Leupold FX-3 6x42mm scope and nylon sling. It has a laminate SSS stock and 23" Shilen #4 contour barrel. Spending a few extra bucks for walnut over the laminate can save you several ounces on the stock if you really need to keep the weight down.

sharpshooter
10-22-2015, 11:53 AM
The action weight including everything but the barrel is 2 lb.,13 oz. A 22" sporter weight will be right at 2lbs 6 oz.

Doc7
10-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Hello all, I took my rifle apart today to get some weights. I've gotten a lot of help on this forum so I am hoping that someday someone will find this post when looking for weights and considering blind vs detachable conversions or a stock or barrel swap.

Savage 11 FCNS 7mm-08 22" barrel w/ bottom bolt release, detachable box mag, 4.4" center-feed screw spacing

Accustock with all hardware (Trigger guard, bottom metal) removed: 2 lbs, 2 oz

Bottom Metal for Magazine : 4.4 oz

Metal Trigger Guard with bolt release : 2.8 oz

Magazine : 4 oz

Bolt : 13 oz

The following numbers are estimated based upon assumptions that my scope (per Vortex website) is 14.2 oz and my DNZ Gamereaper one-piece bases are 5 oz (estimated from online sales websites and reviews, not officially published numbers)

Factory Barrel : 2 lb 12 oz (split the difference between an E.R. Shaw replacement barrel listing and a calculated weight from Pacnor with my barrel dimensions input into the calculator)

Receiver (minus bolt) and Accutrigger : 13 oz

Total : 8.4 lbs

By my estimation this means I can use a 3 lb barrel if I switch to a blind feed laminated Boyd's stock (add 4 oz to barrel, subtract 4 oz bottom metal, add ~9 oz stock weight) and be at 9 lbs, my goal weight.