PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Pillar Bedding - Axis

Jay24bal
10-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys -

For anyone who has pillar bedded an Axis action into a Boyds stock, what did you use as the pillars?

Looking at the inletting and the hole for the rear action screw, there is barely any material there to drill out the hole any bigger. So I am curious as to what others used as the pillars in their stock. Thank you.

foxx
10-16-2015, 10:40 AM
I always use lamp rod, and have done a few of the Axis-Boyds "Classics" with them.

I don't remember if I destroyed the wood around the hole when boring it out or not, but I never really worry about it if I do. (More often not, I do, whether using 10/110 or Axis) 'cuz I make the hole plenty large so the pillars are sure to be centered and positioned properly, knowing the epoxy will be stronger than the wood anyhow.

Once I am all done, (ready to re-assemble and shoot) I also bore-out the pillar a bit more so as to be certain the screws are free-floated. Remember, the purpose of the pillars is only to prevent the wood from compressing under torque and maybe to help position/support the action at the proper height prior to the epoxy setting-up. Once that is done, the material used for the pillars can't be considered "too thin" because the epoxy is already there surrounding the entire pillar. At that point, if you wanted to, you could bore-out the entire pillar and not hurt anything. Of course, I would not do so intentionally, but you see my point.

DrThunder88
10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
1/8" schedule 40 brass pipe. Inletting for the rear pillar is a bit of a pain. I always manage to nick the crosbolt with the drill, but never so severely that it critically compromises the strength.

FW Conch
10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Lamp rod is thinner, works great.

devildogandboy
10-16-2015, 06:06 PM
you can find the lamp rod most hardware-home/improvement stores. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-12-in-All-Thread-Lamp-Pipe-Kit-7027200/204836035

Bruce

FW Conch
10-18-2015, 11:57 AM
You can get it in lengths as short as 1 1/4".

Texas10
10-19-2015, 09:48 AM
IF you haven't already purchased the stock, E.A Brown sells them with pillars installed for a couple dollars more, and they're very well made pillars. If you're interested you can page down a bit and find my write up on thumbhole stock I recently bought. Well worth the extra few dollars, IMHO.

Jay24bal
10-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys. I have always used the brass pipe Dr. Thunder mentioned, but I think I will give the lamp rod a try seeing as there is barely any meat around that rear actions screw.

Texas10, thanks for the heads up, I will keep that in mind for the future, but I do already have the stock.