PDA

View Full Version : Which action for a 358 Win build?

uglydog
10-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Hello, new guy here.

I recently received an E. R. Shaw kit in the above caliber and am looking for a donor action. It is in stainless and I would like a similar material for the action. The 10 action in stainless is a pretty rare bird on the used rack with the couple I have seen being near the same for a new rifle.

I did did find a new 243 Win Axis in stainless at a reasonable price but am concerned whether the action can handle the recoil of the 250 gr bullets I plan on using. I have doubts the stock will last but I figured on replacing it regardless of the action used.

Ifanyone has has an opinion on the suitability of the Axis action for this, I would appreciate hearing it and the reasons behind it. Thanks.

DrThunder88
10-16-2015, 12:54 AM
The Axis action should be plenty strong. I have a .300 Win Mag Axis built from a stainless .270 Win, for instance. It's had a couple hundred 195 grain factory loads sent through, and I've just recently started jacking around with 240s. The bolt lugs, locking recesses, and recoil surfaces are all looking completely normal.

It is worth noting that I never tried it using the factory stock. My confidence in the Axis action does not extend to the cheesy plastic stock.

The options for building an Axis are, however, limited compared to a 10 or 110, especially in the way of stocks.

Robinhood
10-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Model 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 family is desirable.

uglydog
10-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Sorry to have originally posted in the wrong section, I did not see a Gunsmithing area and thought the Build site would be the place. Thanks for moving it.

I would love to use a 16 action but can't find one at a reasonable price. The only used one I have found so far is only 10 less than Cabelas had them new in their ad. I can get a stainless Axis rifle for about half the price of a 16 which is more my liking for cost. For a knock around gun I would like to get something a bit better price than going new.

If the Axis action is capable of handling the 358, that is the route I think I'll try. If a reasonably priced 16 comes along later on I can always swap barrels again and replace the original onto the Axis. Then I have a couple guns and some new knowledge.

FW Conch
10-18-2015, 08:15 AM
The Axis action can handle the 358 Win. It could be stronger and stiffer than the 10/110 action because less metal is removed for the port? The Axis action is producing good accuracy and this could be one reason why? Anyway, the Axis sounds like your solution. I love my 358Win built on a Stevens 200 action. :-)

DrThunder88
10-18-2015, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't suspect it's stiffer or stronger than a 110 action by much if at all, and this distinction would be muddied even further when 10s are considered. I also don't know how much action rigidity has to do with accuracy, but if it's only a small amount noticed by only the leading edge of precision shooters, then the argument might be purely academic.

FW Conch
10-18-2015, 02:26 PM
You could well be right Dr. But my BIL is waiting a long time and paying a lot of money for a BAT action :-).

But the point is, the Axis action can handle a 358 Win clambering :-).