PDA

View Full Version : 300 RUM m-brake question

Iceman02
10-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Has anyone experimented with taking the factory brake off of these to compare groupings? Right now, I shoot Remington Power Level III 180 grain Swift Sciroccos right out of the box and 3/4" groups at 100yds aren't uncommon. I'm just curious what the potential differences could be, if anything.

Sorry, forgot to mention the gun is a 116 weather warrior with the factory brake

big honkin jeep
10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
I have the same rifle in a lefty and don't ever shoot it with the brake off on purpose. Much less have I ever thought about removing it. I have shot it accidentally with the brake closed and the difference in recoil was significant.
After shooting a couple of whitetail deer at over 250 yards with the same load you're using and winding up with buckskin bags full of purple mush, mine has actually been relegated to safe queen status.
I had never seen too much gun or too dead prior to that.

Not sure removal would make a whole lot of difference in groupings but I would suspect they might open up due to increased recoil.

Iceman02
10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
I haven't had that big of an issue with damage anymore, now most are neck shot. I haven't seen a noticeable poi at the range open or closed. When I hunt the brake is closed. Was just curious about any potential without it.