PDA

View Full Version : 116 front swivel stud question

Iceman02
10-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi Folks,

I bought a new 116 back in 2001 in .300 RUM and still love it to this day. Over time, the front swivel stud has started to turn excessively. In fact, it doesn't really loosen or tighten up, yet it doesn't feel stripped. Is there some kind of nut on the inside of the stock that might need to be snugged up? Ive never had the stock off to see, and I'm kind of worried about the potential effects doing so might have on POI. Right now, the gun has a Zeiss HD5 on it and is an absolute tack driver even with the factory Savage stock.
I thought I might mark the orientation of the screws before I take it off, if I do.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Bolthead
10-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Hi Joe,

If we are talking about the synthetic factory stock, the front stud is screwed into a lock nut on the inside of the stock. If you have had the gun that long and never had the stock off, it would not hurt to remove it, tighten the stud, and give that portion of the rifle a good cleaning, and lube the trigger parts. There are several threads on how to readjust the torque on the action screws. Your stock should have both the front and rear pillars, so it's really not a big deal.

Iceman02
10-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Hi Joe,

If we are talking about the synthetic factory stock, the front stud is screwed into a lock nut on the inside of the stock. If you have had the gun that long and never had the stock off, it would not hurt to remove it, tighten the stud, and give that portion of the rifle a good cleaning, and lube the trigger parts. There are several threads on how to readjust the torque on the action screws. Your stock should have both the front and rear pillars, so it's really not a big deal.

Thanks a bunch, it feels exactly like the stud is captured in a nut and the whole thing is turning but not coming loose. I will tear it down this weekend. The last time the stock was off was when I had trigger work done about ten years ago.

Bolthead
10-13-2015, 08:46 AM
A little drop of blue Loctite on the threads of that stud wouldn't hurt anything.

Iceman02
10-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Roger

Iceman02
10-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Got it squared away, no biggie. Hit the range to check and still in the 10 ring at 200 yds :). Thanks for the advice guys!

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 07:54 PM
10 years? That's a long time. Glad you got it fixed!

Iceman02
10-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Was really clean. I treat that gun like gold

big honkin jeep
10-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Iceman,
Please don't keep it buried in the back yard :o
They don't like that. :boink:

Iceman02
10-18-2015, 02:42 PM
For sure ! 🍻