PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Hathcock Match?

DanSavage
10-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Oct 24th at Reade Range P.A. Just wondering if any of you folks were attending. I;m going to give it a try hope to see you there.

Dan

yobuck
10-12-2015, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=DanSavage;336618]Oct 24th at Reade Range P.A. Just wondering if any of you folks were attending. I;m going to give it a try hope to see you there.

The range would be about an hour and a half from here. Not far as for distance, just no roads from here lead directly there.
Anyway whats it all about, im assuming 1000 yds?

DanSavage
10-12-2015, 08:10 PM
It's 1000 yard prone match 5 sighter's then 20 for record on I believe a man size target also first 5 for record are spotted for you also.

I found out about it on the Sniper's hide under Precision Rifle Competition Anouncements. I asked some question's and he explained it pretty good.. 3 1/2 hours one way for me, but I'll be there.

yobuck
10-13-2015, 04:07 PM
It's 1000 yard prone match 5 sighter's then 20 for record on I believe a man size target also first 5 for record are spotted for you also.

I found out about it on the Sniper's hide under Precision Rifle Competition Anouncements. I asked some question's and he explained it pretty good.. 3 1/2 hours one way for me, but I'll be there.

So im guessing if they pull the target and mark the first five record shots, it amounts to 10 sighters?
Is it prone with a sling or prone bipod?

DanSavage
10-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Yes yobuck,sounds like 10 sighter's. A bipod with folding legs,, no fancy fixed F-TR style bipod. and you have to use a rear sand bag or sand sock at rear. No rabbit ear or bunny ear rear bags and no monopod's. They said it was to level the playing field.

You can also use a shooting mat.

I will be shooting a 110 Savage in a BVSS stock with a EABCO accuracy barrel in 6 BR Norma.

The Match is $20 for Hathcock match and they will have a mover's clinic after the match for another fee at various different ranges. ( not sure if I'll do that yet)

Sunday is another type of sniper match but you need 70 rounds or so,, I won't be at that one.

The shoot really interests me mainly because of Carlos Hathcock himself. What a great hero he was and I want to send a few down range for him.

Hope you can make it yobuck.

yobuck
10-13-2015, 08:14 PM
I suppose the award for first prize will be a bouqet of white feathers?
Its not a question if, but wether i can muster up the ambition to do it.
Ive been wanting to go over that way and visit the Prince Galitzen state park.
Maybe i could combine a trip and visit the range as a spectater. So are you planning
on doing all that in one day?

DanSavage
10-13-2015, 09:24 PM
I suppose the award for first prize will be a bouqet of white feathers?
Its not a question if, but wether i can muster up the ambition to do it.
Ive been wanting to go over that way and visit the Prince Galitzen state park.
Maybe i could combine a trip and visit the range as a spectater. So are you planning
on doing all that in one day?

No I'm just going for the Hathcock match on Saturday, I'll have to be there at 8:00 am as it starts at 9:00. My mentor and good friend will be coming along as well who is an expert shooter, but he is older and can't shoot prone,,, a little younger than you though LOL you should show him how it's done.

I always tell the older guys,, if you can lay in bed then you can lay on the ground. LOL they don't like that very much. Though I do have neck and back problem's myself and I do understand. I like to joke around a little I guess.

I have shot 1000 yards only 2 times at my uncles farm and did well, also I shoot in 3 different local match's mainly from the bench and have shot very well this year with about 5 straight 200 scores at 300 yards. Last Sunday at the Springwater match I shot prone just like I will at Hathcock match and I managed a 198-24X, but I also switched bullets on a sudden impulse while making the rounds the night before.

I was using a 105 Hornady BTHP over 28.5 Varget all year then I went with a 107 SMK (older style) and it shot good. Later that day I went to the range with the 107SMK bumping the Varget up to 29 grains and shot a 5 shot group in the high 1's. in the wind! off bench though but bipod attached.

yobuck
10-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Having a shoot to pay tribute to Hathcock shot from benches, wouldnt seem a very fitting thing to do.
But ill bet Hathcock wished he had a bench to shoot from lots of times. Like Yogi said, if theres a fork in the road, take it.
Sooner or later we all come to the fork. Sometimes we even wonder why we were so dumb not to arrive at the fork sooner lol.
Ill make an effort to get over there and watch the proceedings. If your leash is long enough, you could consider staying over here
sat evening and busting a few rocks before heading back sunday. Who knows you might even pick up on a few things you could take
home.

DanSavage
10-14-2015, 11:24 AM
What do you mean by shooting rocks yobuck? Is there lodging in the area?

yobuck
10-14-2015, 08:25 PM
Well busting rocks usually requires a guy in a striped suit with a chain around his leg. At least thats the southern version. lol
But weve found an easier more fun way to do it. Provided we hit the rocks of coarse.
The lodging is at a neat place called Yobuck camp which is by invitation only.
The rock shooting takes place in the front yard following breakfast. Or even before if you prefer.
And just so you know, no awards or praise of any kind is ever offered for spectacular performances.

DanSavage
10-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Well busting rocks usually requires a guy in a striped suit with a chain around his leg. At least thats the southern version. lol
But weve found an easier more fun way to do it. Provided we hit the rocks of coarse.
The lodging is at a neat place called Yobuck camp which is by invitation only.
The rock shooting takes place in the front yard following breakfast. Or even before if you prefer.
And just so you know, no awards or praise of any kind is ever offered for spectacular performances.

yobuck, My wife is pulling the leash really hard on me,, she is 33 weeks pregnant with our first BOY! Very excited because we have 5 girls, 6-15. lol. She claims that I need to be home, but I'll keep trying to convince her.

I'll have on a digital camo boonie hat,, maybe a white feather if I can find one. I'm 6'2 with a dark beard and my friend is a pretty big guy and He has glasses and like a thin mustache you can't miss us.

yobuck
10-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Dan im planning on going there tomorrow if it dosent rain. Look for a guy with a white beard wearing a tan Savage hat and driving
a yellow jeep.

DanSavage
10-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Ok! SATURDAY 24TH.

yobuck
10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Good thing you reminded me as i was thinking today was friday, lol.

DanSavage
10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm going ballistic,,, weighing every bullet, primer and case to .1 grain. Plus powder of course lol.

yobuck,,I am not going to be able to stay down there for the night. I am upset about it and hope you will provide a rain check for next year, as I would like to participate at a couple Reade range events next year.

Regard's

Dan

yobuck
10-22-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm going ballistic,,, weighing every bullet, primer and case to .1 grain. Plus powder of course lol.

yobuck,,I am not going to be able to stay down there for the night. I am upset about it and hope you will provide a rain check for next year, as I would like to participate at a couple Reade range events next year.

Regard's

Dan

Well i dont make long term plans anymore but hopefully that will work.
I just picked up the new shooting rest i spoke about building so ill bring that along
so you can drool over it.

yobuck
10-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Now Dan, there is at least (some) excuse for me getting things screwed up due to my age. But im just assuming that all the (would be snipers)
holding a match on behalf of White Feather, would be younger and sharper than me? Well if thats the case, how come i was the only guy there?
Now i was able to find out there was a match there last week. But i wasent able to find out if it was the (would be snipers) or another bunch of would be's.
But all wasent lost, as im used to dealing with would be's and i had another reason for heading over that way. Thank god the lake was still there.

DanSavage
10-24-2015, 09:05 PM
yobuck, There was I believe 9 shooter's. We got there before 8:00am and a few guys showed up and as we were chatting, several vehicles just past us and drove on down to the pits. Finnally we decided to drive down to the 1000 yard line pit and that is were everyone was. Strange I know,,? around 9:00 6 shooters drove up to the firing line and 3 of them shot as relay one. Then the other 3 shot in relay two. After that they came back down the pit and me and the other 3 shooter's went to the line.

It was pretty cool,, I didn't get 1st 2nd or 3rd and I'm not sure where I placed but I know I didn't come in last LOL.

The wind was terrible,, there were no wind flags allowed and I missed 8 shots out of 25 but the rest were kill shots on a standard human size target including 2 head shots. It was like shooting in the dark, you couldn't tell where you were hitting and no vapor trails to be seen at all.
It was fun though to be able to shoot in my first 1000 yard match though. People from N.Y. city, New Jersey, to name a few.

We left and didn't stay for the mover's clinic,, we stopped a Grice's and I fell in love with a 408 cheytac,, massive gun they wan't 2,400 for it but I can't afford that right now.

So weird meeting in the pit, but I guess that's what they do.

It was a LONG drive! May only come down to Reade for next year's Hathcock match only, but I'm now planning Bodine,, and possibly the Ridgeway Steel shoot's.

yobuck
10-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Well since i was only planing on being a spectator, i was in no hurry to arrive early.
It was about 11 am when i arrived and was very surprised to find no one there.
I had never been there before and had poor directions from a friend near here who had been.
I called the number on the sign on the gate and was told the match had probably been canceled.
That guy told me there had been a prone match there the week before. 1000 yd benchrest matches
are also held there.
Ridgeway is about half the distance from here and is a larger facility. Williamsport/Bodine is actually further
from here but driving time would be about the same due to better roads. Camping is permitted at Bodine.
Im assuming you drove on rt 80 and exited either Kylertown or Clearfield. Im about 30 and 40 miles from those places.