PDA

View Full Version : Newby 16/116 Weather Warrior mod results...I am one happy camper!

AbitNutz
10-11-2015, 01:46 PM
I got the opportunity to replace the stock sporter barrel with an ER Shaw 26", stainless, varmint profile barrel with an 11 degree crown for a a very reasonable price...so I did.

In the process I added an NSS barrel nut and trigger spring. I also ordered a PTG bolt head and SSS ejector/extractor kit.

First, I'm new to all this and I expected to have problems. Shockingly enough, I had none. The barrel and smooth barrel nut were removed very easily using the NSS action wrench, pipe wrench and a dead blow hammer.

The Shaw barrel and NSS barrel nut went on without any problems at all.

I really expected problems with the PTG bolt head, non appeared. The SSS extractor and ejector parts went on perfectly and the bolt head fit exactly. Extraction and ejection are very positive.

I head spaced it using Clymer go-no-go gauges. Again, no problem.

I torqued it all to about 50 lbs with a torque wrench and NSS nut wrench.

I added the NSS trigger spring which really reduced the trigger pull of the Accutrigger. This is a no brainer mod and worked great.

I added a Zeiss 3-9x50 Terra scope, Burris bases and Burris rings. These all worked great. I was able to bore sight it using the windage base adjustment and alignment rings without dialing the scope at all. Once at the range, almost no scope adjustment was required.

So how did it work? Like a dream. This is one accurate .223. At 100 yards I got s shot one inch groups with mediocre factory ammo. I can't be happier on how well all these pieces parts came together and worked. This barrel can handle long strings without overheating and scattering shots like the lightweight sporter did. It also cleans up really easily...something the sporter did not.

I may well take this on my first prairie dog shoot. I'll handload for that but I'm also wanting to try some Fiocchi 62gr. I understand folks have had very good luck with that...and it's really cheap.

Next week I'll blow it apart and take it to H&M Metal Processing and have it finished in Black Nitride. I expect that to really slick things up, like it has with every other gun I've had done by them.

mudpig
10-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut! :)