PDA

View Full Version : Triggers Axis

Pages : 1 [2]

rfd12fv
10-23-2015, 04:23 PM
fwiw i have a like-new timney axis trigger for sale at our classifieds, less than 1/2 the cost of a new one.

red caddy 51
10-23-2015, 04:42 PM
RFD,
All I'm going to say is that I am a competent gunsmith. I am also a responsible one.
It has been my experience that most customers that come to me, asking for a trigger measured in ounces, have not nearly enough skills to safely manage one, hunting or bench. (Yes, I know, the BPCR guys all know how to shoot set triggers, and I prefer that they do their own trigger work/adjustment)

All my trigger work is pointed towards, little or no creep, crisp letoff and minimal over travel. Many people , when handed a proper, safe, well tuned trigger with a pull weight around 3 Lbs. will guess that it is under a pound and need several attempts to master it, especially offhand. Oh sure, there are shooters out there with phenomenal trigger control and great skill, I'm just saying I don't see very many of them in my shop.

The guys that just have to have a non set, 4 OZ trigger on their Eargersplitten loudenboomer are gonna get it from someone else, same for the 3 OZ SA revolver pull kiddo's. Just not my cup of tea.

This stance hasn't hurt my business/profession, in my 30 years, and likely wont.

Paul

rfd12fv
10-23-2015, 05:19 PM
i hear ya and do agree, paul.

as an nra rso i've seen too many shooters on the line who simply can't control that uber light trigger job, no matter who did the work or why. there's a reason why most production guns have "hunting weight" trigger pulls.

with regards to double set triggers, they have their special place and reasoning, and why they're found on certain 19th and 18th century rifles. for most of us into bpcr (real black powder, not the subs or white stuff), dst's can usually, but not always, make a difference at the long range distances we need to shoot with iron peep sights.

imho, having a single sear trigger down to single ounce digits is just not for me and usually becomes a detriment to good consistent accuracy for most shooters.

sixonetonoffun
10-23-2015, 06:47 PM
3 1/4 seems like a safe place to be. Ours are right about there for all around use. Taking the play out and creep makes that seem effortless.

russ2far
11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi, second post so be nice. Hope I can use that line until post 100, haha.

I bought the axis replacement trigger spring off ebay, diamond polished the contact surfaces on my new axis 223, (have had it a month now) to be honest after that work there isn't much difference between it and the from the factory model 21 cooper trigger, maybe a little more creep but you have to squeeze the trigger so slow to notice that it makes shooting it awkward. I have a model m77 Ruger that was build by Dave Tooley as a long range completion rifle, I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I am guessing the trigger is less then a pound easy. I have drop and slam tested it, it hasn't trip the trigger doing those. I have use it prairie dog hunting from time to time, brushed against my shirt/arm, palm of my hand twisting around in the seat for a shot out the window, boom went off. It is just to light for me to feel safe shooting it anywhere except the range, I mean you think about squeezing the trigger and boom, but man does it's papers get a lot of looks. A crisp break, that's what I like in a trigger. You can debate how many oz, lb, is good for what situation all you want, I want it to break in a short and smooth squeeze. I have squeezed triggers that were 5.5lb, according to the owner, and said that's a nice trigger, and on the other end I have squeezed 1lb triggers, again according to owner, and thought to myself that thing is crap, I just kept squeezing and squeezing, and is there sand in this dang thing. Just my thoughts.