PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel wind meter

Russ77
10-07-2015, 11:34 PM
I saw these and was wondering how many people use them and if they are worth getting??
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/188bfde5166d7403fa2386931c28525f.jpg

mudpig
10-08-2015, 12:36 AM
I've got the 4500NV that has more features to it. I use it a lot. Great gear to have if you are shooting long range

hafejd30
10-08-2015, 12:39 AM
I use mine every time I shoot/hunt long range. Not so much the wind portion but I use the humidity, temp, Baro pressure for my ballistic calculator

Wind reader works good but only gives you wind where your sitting. Helpful for learning to read wind but not really reliable as a source for wind down range

Russ77
10-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Wow the 4500nv looks amazing. I'm sure it helps a lot it's long range shooting

mudpig
10-08-2015, 01:39 AM
They help a lot with gathering all the atmospheric data needed for longer range shooting. As stated above, the wind reading is only at the firing point, but it gives you an idea of what winds look like so you can gauge the wind closer to the target.

Twinsen
10-08-2015, 03:04 AM
I use the 2500. It, with a pair of wind vanes I made for $4 give me a good idea what's up.

yobuck
10-08-2015, 09:59 AM
The answer to your question depends to a large degree on the type of individual you are.
If you are technicly minded, say like a person who no longer looks at a road map,
then youve probably already made up your mind. And what your seeking here is confirmation
of a decision youve already made. That is with regard to the actual wind meter portion of the instrument.
Certainly atmospheric conditions play a roll in bullet performance. That can change drasticly within a short
period of time also. Altitude also plays a roll. Leaving ammo in your vehicle overnight in cold temps also affects
performance and with some type powder more than others. The spin of the bullet can have an effect as can the corolis
affect at the extreme distances. Again, depending on the individual there would be different ways to cope.
Some would salivate over the challenge of solving all the issues so they can dial for the perfect first round hit. (Hopefully)
Others might have a chart based on the performance of their particular gun. It would be based on (average) conditions and altitude
for the area. They would then simply fire a shot at the target, and if necessary make adjustments from there. (Unsophisticated, but it works every time)