PDA

View Full Version : NSS action wrench

AbitNutz
10-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Inexpensive but very effective tools, like the Northland Shooters Supply action wrench help make the Savage so versatile. I mean, this is just a nicely made chunk of steel that works. I'm new to Savage rifles. Most all my rifles are Mauser based and the notion that I can remove my own barrel is just amazing. I guess this has been obvious to you folks for some time but it's an Epiphany to me.

The only modification I made was to change from bolts to studs. It just makes the whole thing easier to manipulate.

Does anyone pad, tape or in anyway put something on the inside of their vise/wrench to protect the action? I haven't had a problem yet and I don't want to.

pepper savage 111
10-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I line mine with 2 layers of duct tape on each side and trim the excess. It's probably not necessary but I think it's cheap insurance and it makes me feel better when I'm cranking on it.

drybean
10-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I wrap my actions with masking tape
don't know if it helps but I feel better

AbitNutz
10-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. Might just be mental protection.

35Whelenshooter
10-07-2015, 02:00 PM
I use lead shims or take and make a shim from a shotgun case split in half, to use one on top and one on the bottom works real nice.

AbitNutz
10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Shotgun shell hulls! Brilliant idea...and they're free. I'm going to give that a try.

red caddy 51
10-11-2015, 03:32 PM
M favorite is 6 pack cardboard, Smooth side to the barrel. For the odd occasion that it starts to slip, there is no damage and a pinch/sprinkle of powdered rosin will stop any movement, although cleanup is a bit more of a PITA.

I'm of the opinion that the 4 foot cheater bar, leaning in the corner, scares most of the barrels into submission...

I made custom aluminum (7520) blocks for my bench mounted, hydraulic jack powered, barrel vise. I have lifted the off end of the bench, with a cheater bar, before the barrel slipped. (on a WW2, Iodine locked) Mauser, lol)

I bored my "smooth nut" wrench .030" oversize, to allow for the cardboard/rosin, Works very well.

The worst one I had required a dousing overnight soak with secret squirrel penetrating oil, (Ed's red) and hanging a bucket, half full of wheel weights, from the action wrench, overnight. Bucket was on the floor the next morning and the action hand turned the rest of the way off.