PDA

View Full Version : Two brand new FP-10SRs with short throats..

LB7DMAXX
10-07-2015, 02:57 AM
I recently purchased two FP-SRs and both of them have the throats cut short, I loaded up some 175gr SMKs to 2.800" and they are into the rifling when chambered. Seems like this is a pretty common occurrence with Model 10s and I have read mixed results with Savage's customer service pertaining to this matter. Some people send their rifles in and they will ream them out or replace the barrel and others get a polished chamber that doesn't remedy the problem. Mine is not so bad that it is pulling out the bullet like I have read some people experienced, but i do have to push that bolt in to get the bolt locked. So now I am at the crossroads, should I call Savage and send both rifles in and hope they fix the problem and possibly wait 1-2months turnaround time, have a local gunsmith lengthen the throat, or load the bullets deeper into the case? With an OAL gauge I have to be at 2.660" to be .20" off of the Lans, which is pretty tight with 43.1gr of RL-15..

FW Conch
10-07-2015, 06:16 AM
To me, if a rifle won't chamber factory SAMMI Ammo, without the bullet engaging the lands, it is defective. However, if you mention reloads to Savage, your plight will likely fall on deaf ears.

And welcome to the Forum! :-)

LB7DMAXX
10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Well I ended up taking them to a local smith to have the throat cut a little deeper. The cost was surprisingly cheap and a short turnaround time. Already dropped one into a xlr chassis, pulling the barrels on both and swapping out the recoil lugs, adding POF brakes, bedding the scope mount and dropping a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP Scope. Can't wait to get out and shoot them.

FW Conch
10-08-2015, 10:03 PM
That takes care of that ! :-)