PDA

View Full Version : Got my PTG bolt head

AbitNutz
10-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I ordered a PTG bolt head in left hand .223....no particular reason. I just wanted to mess with the rifle.

I also ordered an upgraded extractor/ejector from SSS. The kit arrived very quickly.

PTG had no left hand .223 bolt heads in stock so they made one. Initially they told me it would take 4 to 8 weeks. They delivered it in 2. I was concerned about some of the things I've read regarding the quality of PTG products when they had to make one up special. It looks like there was nothing to worry about. The bolt head is beautifully made and went right on. The extractor and ejector dropped right in. I have to re-head space it but considering I've changed the barrel, barrel nut, barrel lug, bolt head, ejector and extractor...that's the least I would have expected to have to do...Setting the head space on a Savage is not only easy, it's fun.

After I break it in and make sure that it's working well and there are no glaring problems with either functionality or accuracy, I'm going to have it all Black Nitride finished by H&M metal processing in Akron. I've done more than a couple of guns with them and the Black Nitride finish is just plain awesome. Everything works smoother as the finish is incredibly hard and has a pretty high self lubricating quality.

I'll let you all know how it compares with its stock configuration, how it is now and how things end up after it gets its Black Nitride finish. I'm hoping that it keeps its initial accuracy (I don't know how it could get better than it was) but holds it longer during long shooting stretches as the new barrel is a much larger varmint profile. Here's hoping!!