PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Dialing in my 93R17 BVTSS

rchouser
10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I am an 65yo shooter and in late spring bought a 93r17 BVTSS to use with a bipod for varmints and squirrels at longer ranges (head shots).

Mine shot ok when I got it, but, it was NOT ready to consistently head shoot squirrels at 100 yards.

I have since gotten the bottom metal, longer action screws, and a picatinny rail from DIP products. This helped stabilize the action and allowed me to "pull in the action". Still not quite there,

I took it to a rifle builder I work with, and he recrowned the barrel cleaning up a bit of a rough crown and correcting a small "squaring" issue of the bore to the crown. This last step did the trick for my rifle. It also permitted me to get better results with a variety of 17HMR ammo. My rifle was initially pretty picky. Now not quite so picky (some weights/brands still are preferred by the gun).

I took the rifle to a 100 yard indoor range yesterday (no wind alibies etc) and mounted my LR HP scope (6 - 24 Sightron Siii) to my new rail. I would obviously not use this glass to hunt, but, it is very good to evaluate accuracy. Using a rear bag and a Harris Bipod on a bench, the rifle proceeded to shoot 45 consecutive rounds that resulted in 42 "head shot" quality hits. I was shooting at a large printed target with 40 1/4" in target circles space 3/4" apart each direction. A head shot to me is when the strike is within 1/4" of the target circle (this will effectively permit a strike on a 1/2" target at 100 yards). This was with both the gamepoint 20gr and the 17 vmax bullets.

The only thing I would still like to modify is the trigger. If they make an Apache trigger for this gun, I will buy it. Again note that although this was shot indoors (no windage issues) it was shot with a bipod and a rear bag, not a rest. I will now have to pick some glass for the gun that can match it's shooting, but, even with the crown and parts, I now have a really good light varmint gun for under $600 and my grandson can enjoy it when it is his turn.

thanks rch