PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to aftermarket stocks

bobcat30
06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
i currently am looking to replace my tupperwre stock on a savage 110 .243 in long action. Was looing at stockys long range thumbholes and didnt see any that would work for the screw spacing in long action any help will be helpful as i wanna get this thing lookin good. Thanks in advance.

rjtfroggy
06-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Go to Boyds(sponsor here) they make the long action thumbhole for stagger feed and with a little work you can make it work for a centerfeed.I've gotten them for $100 delivered.

bobcat30
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
How much work is involved in making them fit? Does stockys offer one for the long action? I like their colors and variety.

rjtfroggy
06-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Takes less than an hour to fit it, small shim in front of mag box and removal of a little material in front of rear action screw so that the "L" bracket fits and possible sanding of barrel channel,that depends on the contour of your barrel.Now all this is only needed if you own a centerfeed.
Stocky's may have it in the Tundra but colors are limited.
You can also look here http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=12160 these are factory stocks and colors are very limited but there are long action ones you just have to look through them.

bobcat30
06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
how do i tell if i have center or stagger feed?

drybean
06-09-2010, 09:29 PM
the stagger feed box will be atached to the reciver

bobcat30
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh ok thanks kinda had brain fart!!! It is stagger feed. Now the decision is weather or not to have pillars put in and glass bed the action does it really make that big of a diff in accuracy that a hunting rig would benefit from? Just wanna do this right the first time as i dont have a ton of time to build and tear down repeatedly

rjtfroggy
06-10-2010, 07:13 AM
To some it matters.I have a couple that have no bedding and shoot just fine.Only way to tell is put it together and try it, if it is unacceptable take it appart once bed it set the pillars and then try it again. All told taking it appart and putting together is a 5 minute job.
If you look at the Numrich site I posted for you most of them have factory pillars, and believe it or not a lot of rifles are very very accurate with out bedding and or pillars.

bobcat30
06-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Thats what ive been told. But when it comes down to it i kinda am anal when it comes to doin things. Perfection isnt always good enough,if ya know what i mean,which im sure you do your a barrel nut junkie right?