PDA

View Full Version : ? about my .260 LRH

rickw
10-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Hello, I've been a member for a while now, just trying to soak up all things Savage. I have what I think is a short leade/throat.
Every bullet I've tried, Hornady Amax's, 120 and 140's, 129 gr. interlock sp.(hunting load), and 130 swift sirocco, engages the lands at 2.770 to 2.780. I've been running these at about .005 off the lands, as it does not like more jump. Tried .020 and .035, and groups opened up considerably. Has anybody else experienced this?
Question two. The stock has bedding points for the barrel. Doesn't shoot too bad, between 5/8 to 1 inch,(three shot groups)fairly round, so doesn't seem to be stringing. Has anyone free floated their LRH in the original stock? If so, did it improve your groups?
Regards,
Rick

darkker
10-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Rick, you are asking for simple universal answers; and they don't exist.
For the jump to lands. I've never had a rifle (and I've had a shyte-ton) that was very particular about jump if it was built correctly. Jump merely fine-tunes a good load, so is your load actually developed in your rifle, or something you were told?

Lots have free floated their barrels, and all results are different. The Pressure points, and those rubber detonators that people immediately but after free-floating; both control harmonic vibration on the 3rd order.

rickw
10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Darkker, I'm developing these in my rifle. I'm contemplating having the throat opened up so I can take advantage of my magazine length. Will it give me a little more velocity? I don't know. I believe that a bullet base protruding much past the neck /shoulder junction is just taking up powder space. That being said, even with my somewhat shortened OAL, my current load seems to correspond with factory load data, i.e., max powder chg is 44.o grns. of Accurate 4350, and my chrono confirmed that. I'm not one to push the envelope for speed, but, like most of us, am looking for a combination of accuracy and good velocity, taking accuracy above all else. For me, having to dial up another minute or two of elevation is superior to stressing my brass and rifle just for the sake of speed.

Also, I realize that my question about removing the pressure points helping or hurting my accuracy is more of an individual rifle thing, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone has been down that road with the LRH.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
Rick