PDA

View Full Version : Sort? Long? Confused...

AbitNutz
10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
I have a 16/116 FLCSS in .223.

In a fit of zeal, I ordered a PTG bolt head and am awaiting its delivery. I thought the web page ordering was pretty straight forward but I'm now unsure. Forgive me but I'm new to Savage so if these questions seem obvious I'm still learning.

I ordered:
.223 bolt face
.442 lug
1.00 shank
Left hand
Left port
These were the only options available in the order page. There was no option for action length.

I understand that my rifle is a standard shank, short action. I've now been told that the the .223 was available in the large shank and/or long action? I've been reading the forums here and it looks like the bolt heads are different from long/short actions or from large/standard shanks? I'm not completely clear on this. I'm concerned that the PTG bolt head I ordered may not be the correct configuration based on the ordering options available to me off the web page.

I'd appreciate it if some of you really knowledgeable folks can help me sort out what is what...

short round
10-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Could measure your Savage bolt head to be sure, looks like you ordered correct one. 223 was first built on long action, this stopped when short action came about. The shank on the long action is approx .125" longer than short. I have this same PTG bolt head, right hand in a 16/116 & one in a 12 short action.

LongRange
10-03-2015, 08:49 AM
the shank size on PT&Gs site determines long action or short action not shank size of the barrel... the 1" shank is for a short action and the 1.5'(or the longer shank) is for a long action. if your rifle is a left bolt left port short action you should be good,

AbitNutz
10-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Excellent! Thank you!...it's a bit of a learning curve. It looks like, as you both said, I should be good. Now if PTG send me a bolt head that doesn't have any issues. I'm a bit concerned and disappointed that some seem to have had problems with PTG.

LongRange
10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I have 2 bolt heads,a bolt body and a reamer from PT&G...all are flawless.

AbitNutz
10-03-2015, 12:12 PM
That's excellent news. I was thinking about a bolt body as well but I'm not exactly sure what to measure to make sure I get the right size. I guess there's quite a bit f variation.

LongRange
10-03-2015, 12:32 PM
I changed mine out so the bolt would cycle smoother and for the bling factor and it did both very well...the crud way to measure is to use calibers at the back of the action...when I called they had one that wasn't exact to the posted measurements on their site so I got it a little cheaper than advertised...I think it was a little under sized.