PDA

View Full Version : Axis II XP Boyds Stock Swap - looking for some help

Codylawhorn30
10-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Hello all
I posted a link on this on the axis specific forum. I am doing a stock upgrade to my savage axis II xp .308. I purchased the Boyds Classic stock and recently received it. I went to swap the stock out only to find that the front action screw was to short and did not engage any threads. I purchased the longer screw set from Boyds but the longer front action screw that came in the set is to long by almost a 1/4 inch. Has anyone run into this with a Boyds stock swap on their axis? The axis is unique in that the recoil lug is free/separate from the action. The 11/111 "my buddy owns" has the recoil lug built into the action as one piece. I am wondering if maybe the set the recoil lug up to high in the stock and therefore it is preventing the screw from engaging??? Has anyone delt with this similar situation on their Boyds axis stock swap?

My stock is currently at CDI getting inletted for their bottom metals. Savage doesnt make a set of bottom metals that fit the axis s.a. as i was told by them directly.

Thank you,
Cody

devildogandboy
10-03-2015, 12:29 PM
yep, this is common. if the front screw is too long i would just trim it using hacksaw or dremel tool and clean up the threads with file. if you need more screws you can get them at the hardware store. good luck.

Bruce

Spectre236
10-03-2015, 12:34 PM
+1 to Bruce - FYI they are 1/4 -28 threads.

DrThunder88
10-03-2015, 05:15 PM
How far does the front action screw stick into the inletting when it's in place? I forgot to ask that in the other thread.

Metz_K
10-04-2015, 05:37 PM
When I did my Axis with the Pro varmit I thought my front screw wasn't long enough either. I had to grab the action and stock in one hand and squeeze them while i started the bolt. Once I did that I ran both bolts down and backed them off a couple of times. Now I can just basically drop the bolt in the hole and tighten without any pressure. Also my bolt stuck up maybe 1/8" when I first got the stock.

Codylawhorn30
10-06-2015, 08:19 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff224/cjlawhorn_2007/20151005_173505%201.jpg?t=1444090553

Well I got it all figured out. Sent it to CDI to have it inletted for their bottom metals and pillars... I love how it came out.