PDA

View Full Version : DNZ one peice Bed or not?

RegisG
09-30-2015, 06:29 PM
My new 10 FLCP is due in soon and I will want to mount my Vortex. I would like to try DNZ one piece mount/rings. I'd like to know if anyone here has tried one of the DNZ's. Did you have to bed it or was it perfect match to the Savage receiver?

Thanks,
Regis

lrshooting
09-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Savage receivers aren't always straight. My 10 wasn't any ways. I bedded my tps base because it was lifting on one side when I installed it. I thought maybe it was my base, but a straight rule thought the same thing as my base did :)

foxx
09-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I have bedded a few of those. Not always necessary. Easy to check when you get it.

All I did was mount it with the two front screws only and look for a gap under the other end. THen switch and do the same for the front. If there is any "give" either way, go ahead and bed it. No big deal. Same is true for any one piece mount. As LR said above, the mount may be straight, but the action could be unlevel. I don't worry or care which is to blame, I simply fix it if I am concerned about it.

FW Conch
09-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Just curious foxx, did you bed the front, or back, or split the difference? Seems the process could induce positive or negative MOA?

Thanks ... Jim :-)

RegisG
09-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Glad you asked that as you could gain or loose some clicks and I never thought of it.
Regis

Just curious foxx, did you bed the front, or back, or split the difference? Seems the process could induce positive or negative MOA?

Thanks ... Jim :-)

foxx
09-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I bedded the back. +/- 1-3 moa? No, its negligible. Doesn't matter if it does, anyway. How would you choose to determine whether you are adding or correcting for negative moa anyhow? Dont worry about it.

BearFighter82
10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
So I have a question. I also just put a dnz mount on a 110 I just picked up. The scope was visibly pointing to the right of the barrel. Could not get anymore adjustment out the the windage turret. How can I fix this?

foxx
10-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Leupold bae and rings with adjustable rear base

BearFighter82
10-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks

tufrthnails
10-06-2015, 06:14 PM
fwiw I have DNZ on my Savage 111, Ruger American Compact, CVA Optima, Savage 93r17, and my cousins Rem 7mm RUM, and Rem .223. I have not needed to bed any of them. I might have just gotten lucky with receivers. I am looking at putting the DNZ freedom reaper on my DPMS 5.56

jlosho
10-10-2015, 06:42 PM
I recently mounted a DNZ Game Reaper 1-pc mount (16200) to a new Savage 12 FV (w/Mueller 8.5-25X50). Very good fit to the receiver. Have not shot so don't know ultimate alignment other than bore sighting at 25 yds looks OK.

adammiddagh
10-10-2015, 09:42 PM
I bedded a 20moa base to the 1st action I built off of. Now it is standard procedure on all new 1 piece bases / rails. Most of the time, the epoxy is almost thin enough to see through.

KAIFS
10-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Something to be said about Ken Ferrell bases - never needed bedding on any of these, as a matter of fact they don't even recommend locktite on the mounting screws (which I ignore, just can't think of it coming out) - always held perfect with 0 issues. (aside from one rifle with messed up holes from the factory...)

foxx
10-13-2015, 09:04 AM
^^^ THat's all good, I am sure he does great work, but if the top of the action is not true to the base, the base might very well need to be bedded to the action. Not because the base is not level/true, perhaps, but the action.

It all depends on whether the two parts match up properly or not, and it is no reflection on one or the other's skill or artisanship if they don't. It's just a matter of "fixing" it if necessary.
No big deal.