PDA

View Full Version : action wrench

jgerrington
06-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Will the action wrench from midway that says 110 work on a short action too? Could not find a model 10 wrench.

geargrinder
06-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Yes, it will work perfectly.

Uncle Jack
06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
That action wrench and a barrel nut wrench are all you need to work on any 110/10 series Savage rifle I've ever met.

uj

northlander
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
The Midway Barrel Nut Wrench was the more affordable wrench that I would suggest until I heard back from several customers that these wrenchs have bent and broken teeth after moderate usage. Both Sharp Shooter and NSS can offer you a much better wrench with pricing as low as $25.00.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Uncle Jack
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
+1 on the SSS barrel nut wrench (I have not used the NSS one). Not only is it much better made, they also have one for the new "Smooth" barrel nuts.

The Wheeler wrench really is just for the casual user.

uj

dcloco
06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
The stainless wrench that Northlander sells is the best AND the least expensive. Made by McRee Precision.

BillPa
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM

I've easily pulled and swapped over 100 barrels for myself and the faint of heart at the club with Wheeler wrenches....when do I graduate from the "casual user " status? ;D

Bill

dcloco
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

I've easily pulled and swapped over 100 barrels for myself and the faint of heart at the club with Wheeler wrenches....when do I graduate from the "casual user " status? ;D

Bill

LOL! See page 17, subsection C, addendum 3a in the "BrotherNut Guidebook"....aka....The BNGB!

BobT
06-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Bill

Bill,

You use your wrenches the same way I do but a lot of these guys whack on the barrel nut wrench with a hammer of one kind or another. From what I have seen this tends to bend the teeth in the wrench and chew up the barrel nuts also.

FWIW I use the Wheeler action wrench and the McRee barrel nut wrench that Northlander sells and I'm completely happy but I don't beat on the barrel nut wrench!

Bob