PDA

View Full Version : 45 Raptor

wch
09-29-2015, 11:54 PM
(In PA the AR platform, being semi-automatic, is not allowed for hunting of any kind.)

The 45 Raptor cartridge is based on the shortened 308 Winchester case and was developed to give better ballistics than the other available 45 caliber cartridges chambered in the AR 10.
I am giving serious thought to having a barrel chambered for the Raptor installed on a Savage short action bolt rifle.
Any observations are welcome.

For cartridge dimensions and AR 10 ballistics go to TFB.com and enter 45 Raptor in the search box, look for
"Introducing the 45 Raptor for the AR 10".

foxx
09-30-2015, 12:11 AM
I have not attempted the 45 Raptor, but have had a lot of success converting s/a c/f to the450 BushMaster. Apache Gun Works and Skinner Gun Works have both built quite a few barrels for me and my friends. Using just factory ammo, they all shoot better than 1 MOA out to 200-250 yards. (Most shoot closer to 1/2 inch at 100 yards). The Raptor might be slightly faster, but I am so satisfied with the 450Bm I just haven't pursued it.

DrThunder88
09-30-2015, 02:01 AM
I never got 450 Bushmaster to work well in a center feed magazine. The best, and still not totally reliable, solution I've found was blowing out the feed lips on a .223 and then trimming the front corners of the lips to the same length as an AR magazine. I'd hope the Raptor would be less prone to nose-diving in a .308 magazine.

I also don't know if the 45 Raptor is legal for the shotgun zone exception in Michigan like 450 Bushmaster. Excellent if it is but it'd be sort of a bummer if it's not.

troutdodger
09-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Satern makes barrels for the Savage in 45 Raptor. I've built an AR in the Raptor and couldn't get a bigger grin on my face everytime I pull the trigger. I would be careful in those states that are allowing the straight walled cartridges but specify which caliber. The 45 Raptor brass is marked 45 Raptor not 460 S&W even though other than the difference in rim, they are the same. Michigan doesn't designate specific cartridge, just case size and minimal caliber.

foxx
09-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I open the mag lips and tweak the feeding ramp to allow smooth feeding of 450bm's in the model 10 center feeds. Cant get stagger feed mags to work, but i have paired-up cf mags with sf actions without a problem.

DrThunder88
10-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Have you tried a stagger feed .223 magazine (if such a beast exists)? I'm only thinking that it might be more at home there since the .450 Bushmaster is meant to work in AR mags.