PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Cavtrooper94
06-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but run on a few others. I've been shooting for quite some time but just recently bought my first Savage. I've shot Remingtons for years but when it came time to get a 338 Win Mag for Alaska I chose a Savage 116. The Remington quality has just been going down over the years and it seems that Savage is listening to shooters and taking their company in that direction. While I am very familiar with weapons, I am not intimately familiar with Savage rifles and joined this site to learn more. I am very interested in building a few of my own from scratch as I have seen alot of you do. Please tell me what I need to start researching in order to begin building my own. I would like to start with a 7mm Rem Mag with a medium heavy barrel on an A5 type stock, set up as a long range hunter. I have no knowledge of what model reciever I should start with or where I can get just an action and ect. ect....

Thanks Much guys. I hope to be on here for along time

slaroy
06-08-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm a newbie to the savage world and one of the best pieces of advice I can give is to buy a paid membership. Lots of articles, reviews, etc. Not to mention access to the classifieds. You will not regret it, although your bank accounts might.

My family is under the impression that I have some new savage disease...

rjtfroggy
06-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The best advice spend the $12 and become a paid member the access to all the articles and classifieds is worth the price of addmission.
As for actions basically they are all the same except there are SA,s or LA's in either SS or matte, or blued,like other manufactures.
On the sponsors page NSS sells actions in all the different configurations and if you are building a hunter I would suggest the model 12 series in SS,and a factory barrel in the varmint contour. The factory barrels are just as accurate as any other but cost a little less. Of course all of this can be found in the classifieds also.
Good luck with your projects and let us see what you are doing.

ellobo
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
If you are going 7 Rem Mag go with a long action obtainable from Jim Briggs of Northalnder, an advertiser here. Great guy and will give you information you need. If cost is a consideration look at Midway USA's website for Adams and Bennett barrels. I have three and they are accuate at $129, I got one on sale for $89.95. Barrel nut wrench and action wrench are needed if you use a donor rifle. Sharpshooter Supply, an advertiser here has great stocks, and if you want laminate, Boyds has hunting style stocks at a good price. I use them and am happy with them although laminate can be a bit heavy. A teen age son makes a great gun bearer. Cheap too. Get that membership and access all the great expertise here. Bedding, tuning, hints, all are here.
Good luck with your build but beware the addiction of barrel swaping, gets expensive. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut.

El Lobo

BobT
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I will just echo what the others have said, spend the $12.00 for a membership and let the fun begin! You can find some really great deals in the classifieds and the how to articles are very informative as well.

Bob

Cavtrooper94
06-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Alright guys

I bought the membership. Since I am really new to the whole Savage thing, what long action should I look at for a 7mm Rem Mag, 111,116????? I think I want the barrel to be roughly .850 at the muzzle and 26 inches. Anyone know where I should look? My long term plan is to make a few rifles that all look very close to each other in 7 mag, 6.5-284, 243, and 308/260.... Any help guys

Thanks Much