PDA

View Full Version : .308 throated for 190s

pepper savage 111
09-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Hey guys. So I just got a barrel from Jim at Apache. It's a 16.5" bull barrel and it's throated for 190gr pills. I don't know anything about long throated barrels...

Can I launch 149 gr pills from federal factory nato loads without damaging the throat?

Also, does anyone have experience with one of these long throated .308 barrels from Jim? What are you using for loads? (I'm obviously looking for low baseline loads to work up from as I'm aware that all barrels are unique. I just have no idea where to start...)

foxx
09-29-2015, 10:58 PM
#1 Yes. Long throated just allows you to shoot longer bullets and still hug or stay close to the rifling without jamming the bullet into the rifling.. Nothing wrong with shooting anything short of the rifling, but they might not shoot well because they have more "jump" than they might like.

FW Conch
09-30-2015, 09:46 PM
"pepper", I got one in blue last week. It's a good thing I was busy last night or I my have run the bid up against you on that ss one, if that's the one you got? The one I got was 1/11 twist and I think yours was 1/10? Looking forward to shooting mine next week. Hope yours does well for you.

Discovering eBay is going to break me :-(

foxx
09-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Also, start with published load data for your bullets.