Inebriated
09-28-2015, 05:43 PM
111 Hog Hunter, .338 Win Mag

- B&C Classic Checkered Medalist
- Leupold FX-II
- Leupold QR mounts
- Savage stainless trigger guard
- Magpul MS1 sling

This was purchased, largely as a toy, several months ago. "A .338 for $440? Heck yeah!" I said. I also said "meh, the factory stock is fine and I prefer irons". You see how that turned out. The Classic Checkered stock is great, it really helps tame this guy to very, VERY comfortable levels, it's rigid, and the surface webbing is grippier in both wet and dry than my Boyd's stocks (none are checkered). But, it doesn't do it at a particularly light weight... 9 pounds, 13 ounces as seen here, loaded with 4 rounds of Barnes 225gr loads, that I still need to do some grouping and a final zero with. I've been back and forth on the scope for this rifle as mounts and other little things trickled in, but I have been shooting it quite a bit with a rough bore sight and with irons, and it handles well, and feels natural. I'll update with 100 yard groups with the Barnes later on. While this did begin as a toy, the process to upgrade the stock and get some glass on it did give me the thought that I could make this the one and only hunting rifle. It may eventually become that, but I think I've snapped out of that silliness for now. This is going to be the black bear rifle this year.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/740/21766344546_dceff8ecf9_z.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/740/21766344546_f6b0c94a59_o.jpg)

111 Trophy Hunter; .30-06

- B&C Classic Medalist
- Nikon ProStaff (yes, the original ProStaff! I thought it was junk too, but it's still going strong)
- Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts
- Steel trigger guard, going to add a steel hinged floor plate in the coming weeks, but for now it's the factory synthetic DBM.
- Same Magpul MS1 sling

I just received the stock today, so no idea how it'll shoot, but I will update here as well with groups. The rifle, as pictured, comes in at 8 pounds, 11 ounces, with 5 rounds of 168gr Barnes loads. Not too shabby, lighter than when it had the Boyd's Prairie Hunter, only a few ounces heavier than with the factory stock. This has been my main hunting rifle for a few years now, and I have a lot of woods time with it. I love the rifle, and when I got the stock for the Hog Hunter in-hand, I just couldn't feel good about not having one on this rifle. So, that happened. Then I grabbed a stainless trigger guard for it, because the factory plastic one was getting pretty gouged up, and as I said, I will convert to a stainless floor plate because I just never change mags. Overall, feels great. Shooting it will be the obvious thing to seal the deal, and that'll come in the next couple days, but assuming something crazy doesn't happen with the stock, I know the rifle itself is good to go.

One interesting thing, however, is the stocks are different models.... The "Classic Checkered Sporter" on the HH, and the "Classic Sporter" on the TH. The Checkered is a blind mag, the non-checkered is inlet for the factory DBM. Well, the non-checkered has about as much flex as my Boyd's stocks... not enough to notice, but I can squeeze the front end towards the barrel a little. The Checkered version doesn't seem to have any flex at all. At first, because the non-checkered flares out to accept the DBM frame, it seemed like the forend was slimmer, but when I actually looked side-by-side, they forend dimensions are the same, leading me to believe that the lack of supportive material for the DBM is what's allowing the flex, where the Checkered model has a complete fiberglass bottom, meaning more strength. Just an interesting note, I'm not a bench shooter, and these rifles are to be used in the field.. I can't feel any flex off-hand, so it matters not to me, but if you were maybe looking to upgrade for a bench gun, something to consider. Oh, and grips... The grips on both stocks are a bit short, a little fat, and have slightly different angles. I really like the feel for off-hand work, but they both leave a bit to be desired if you're doing long sessions with the gun. These stocks are definitely hunting stocks, in my eyes.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/594/21171431853_261e999b7d_z.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/594/21171431853_fe9e088eea_o.jpg)

And the year of getting rid of things I don't use, and "squaring away" the things that I do use, continues.

DrThunder88
09-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Nice looking rifles! I've heard good things about B&C stocks.

Inebriated
09-29-2015, 05:19 AM
Nice looking rifles! I've heard good things about B&C stocks.

Thanks, I'm really liking them a lot, and I can not wait to get more tree time with 'em!

Inebriated
09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Got the '06 to the range this morning. Shooting factory loaded 168 grain TTSX's, I got this three-shot group, adjusted a couple clicks left and a couple down, and then punched the top of the bullseye. I was content with that. The group is 0.5" center-to-center. I know, I know, 3 shots is not a proper indication of accuracy, but I'm still rather proud. I don't sit down at a bench and try to squeeze out the most accuracy very often, and for me to, quite casually, get a good 3-shot group, it really puts my confidence in the rifle.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5659/21659868190_f498d26fb2_z.jpg

The .338 shot okay too, but all I had were 250gr Remington SP's, and the best group I got was 1". I'll revisit that with better ammo soon.

drybean
09-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Looking good, great shooting

Inebriated
09-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks, drybean!

Lorenzo
09-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Sweet guns, always was curious how the 338 shot, how is the recoil more or less than the 06? If they shoot that good with factory ammo than your in pretty good shape. I am picking up a Hog Hunter in .223 pretty soon and also am going to trow it in a B&C, have you taken a look at the bedding block to see if the action is making an imprint of any kind? I assumed they put an aluminum block in there so the action will kind of work its way in with proper torque.

Inebriated
09-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Sweet guns, always was curious how the 338 shot, how is the recoil more or less than the 06? If they shoot that good with factory ammo than your in pretty good shape. I am picking up a Hog Hunter in .223 pretty soon and also am going to trow it in a B&C, have you taken a look at the bedding block to see if the action is making an imprint of any kind? I assumed they put an aluminum block in there so the action will kind of work its way in with proper torque.

Thanks, man. It's interesting, if I shoot them back to back, as I did today, the .338 feels noticeably more stout, but it isn't sharp, or punishing. The rifle moves you more, and your shoulder feels it a little more, but for the 1000 ft. lbs. of energy difference at the muzzle, the difference in felt recoil is surprisingly minimal. I shot the factory stock, the factory stock with lead weights in the butt for balance, and the B&C... the B&C just feels night and day to me. Apparently fiberglass stocks transmit less energy to the shooter, I can't really verify that, but that seems to be the claim. I can, however, attest to the recoil pad, weight, and fit differences that make the .338 just feel so much more tame. Basically, if you didn't tell me it was a .338 Win Mag, I wouldn't ever guess it. And that's with 250's... I have every intention of using 210-225gr TTSX loads with it for black bear, so the recoil should be further decreased.

I haven't looked at the bedding block yet, but I distinctly remember a video from 8541 Tactical, where he said his aluminum bedded stock ended up mating to the action after several hundred rounds. I think I've only got 40 rounds through this rifle with the B&C, though.

And for accuracy, I could not be happier. To get that accuracy from the '06 out of off-the-shelf ammo, that also has excellent characteristics for hunting, is just perfect. I look forward to getting better ammo through the .338, and seeing how it acts. It's certainly steadier with the extra pound of meat on it, and I expect good things.

scooterf79
10-01-2015, 12:16 AM
They both look awesome! Looks like the 06 shoots good too! Im getting parts together for a build for my dad. Im planning to order the B&C medalist too...so this post just helps that! 😉
Scooter

Lorenzo
10-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks, man. It's interesting, if I shoot them back to back, as I did today, the .338 feels noticeably more stout, but it isn't sharp, or punishing. The rifle moves you more, and your shoulder feels it a little more, but for the 1000 ft. lbs. of energy difference at the muzzle, the difference in felt recoil is surprisingly minimal. I shot the factory stock, the factory stock with lead weights in the butt for balance, and the B&C... the B&C just feels night and day to me. Apparently fiberglass stocks transmit less energy to the shooter, I can't really verify that, but that seems to be the claim. I can, however, attest to the recoil pad, weight, and fit differences that make the .338 just feel so much more tame. Basically, if you didn't tell me it was a .338 Win Mag, I wouldn't ever guess it. And that's with 250's... I have every intention of using 210-225gr TTSX loads with it for black bear, so the recoil should be further decreased.

I haven't looked at the bedding block yet, but I distinctly remember a video from 8541 Tactical, where he said his aluminum bedded stock ended up mating to the action after several hundred rounds. I think I've only got 40 rounds through this rifle with the B&C, though.

And for accuracy, I could not be happier. To get that accuracy from the '06 out of off-the-shelf ammo, that also has excellent characteristics for hunting, is just perfect. I look forward to getting better ammo through the .338, and seeing how it acts. It's certainly steadier with the extra pound of meat on it, and I expect good things.

yea thats the same 8541 tac vid I saw aswell. Sounds good to me, I hear of people doing glass bedding on b&c's but it just doesn't seem necessary. is the action basically free floated other than the contact points by the action screws?

Inebriated
10-01-2015, 03:38 PM
They both look awesome! Looks like the 06 shoots good too! Im getting parts together for a build for my dad. Im planning to order the B&C medalist too...so this post just helps that! ��
Scooter
Thank you! If you need even more help, my dad checked out the '06 and its target yesterday, and pretty much decided it's time to retire his SKS and get something new lol

Be sure to post the final build!

yea thats the same 8541 tac vid I saw aswell. Sounds good to me, I hear of people doing glass bedding on b&c's but it just doesn't seem necessary. is the action basically free floated other than the contact points by the action screws?
Yeah, I ran across some stuff about milling out the aluminum and glass bedding it... I don't get it. I'm sure it's made sense to someone, but I think a good part of what you pay for B&C is for the aluminum bedding block. The action seems to have good contact along the aluminum, which as I understand, is the goal... to have the aluminum act as a glass bed. I believe the tang is also floated, but I can't tell for sure.

Lorenzo
10-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Thank you! If you need even more help, my dad checked out the '06 and its target yesterday, and pretty much decided it's time to retire his SKS and get something new lol

Be sure to post the final build!

Yeah, I ran across some stuff about milling out the aluminum and glass bedding it... I don't get it. I'm sure it's made sense to someone, but I think a good part of what you pay for B&C is for the aluminum bedding block. The action seems to have good contact along the aluminum, which as I understand, is the goal... to have the aluminum act as a glass bed. I believe the tang is also floated, but I can't tell for sure.
Agreed. So the Hog Hunter is definitley a .338 Win Mag? because on Savages site it says the Hog Hunter is available in .338 Federal.

Inebriated
10-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Yep. They discontinued the .338 Win Mag sometime this year. I guess they wanted to move to all short actions or something. I got mine and a couple weeks later it was off the site, so I lucked out I guess.