PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: savage .22 64 can not shoot straight

paulxiaoliu
09-28-2015, 02:14 AM
I just bought my first rifle Savage .22 model 64 FXP semi-auto. I took it to 25 yard shooting range to zero in the iron sights and scope. When using the iron sights, the grouping was 3 inches to the right of the bulls eye. When I tried to zero in the scope(Simmons 3-9X 32), it was the same, about 3 inches to the right. I have to use tons of windage adjustment to zero it in (20 clicks at least). I did not bore sight before zero in the scope though.

Is there anything wrong with the rifle itself (Since both the iron sights and the scope were off)? Or it might be the iron sights?
How can I zero in the iron sights on this rifle? The front sight is fixed, and I can only adjust the height of the rear sight (rear sight can not move left or right).

Thank you

1bdvet
09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
I find when I don't pay attentions on how I squeeze the trigger, mind goes to the right, BUT when pay attention to pulling the trigger, dead on target. You might be using on your tip of the finger and squeeze.

Fotheringill
09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
For scopes- I would read up on Burris Signature and Burris Signature Rimfire rings, both have inserts which will allow mounting adjustments on the rings to give you what you need. On a tangent, but maybe important, how did you tighten down your rings? Did you use recommended torque for both ring and base mounts? I did it the lazy way the last mounting I did and was a good foot and a half off. I remounted with a torque wrench and was an inch off.

Iron sights- I am not familiar with your iron sights, but I cannot believe there is no windage adjustments on either the front or the rear. Are you sure?

Bang
09-30-2015, 04:06 PM
May I suggest? The rifle is new to you. You may need to practice with it (such as getting used to the trigger) to better determine what needs adjusting....the rifle and/or yourself.

I wouldn't worry about where the POIs appear, so much as how many form a close consistent group. This usually means trying various brands and configurations of ammo to find what the rifle "likes". Once that is established, refining mechanics and methods can further enhance accuracy and make POI agree with POA.

Find the best ammo first, otherwise you'll be chasing "accuracy" each time you change ammo.