PDA

View Full Version : Precision recoil lug necessary?

pepper savage 111
09-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, as the title states. Is there any documented proof the a precision recoil lug is absolutely necessary for maximum accuracy? I have 5 standard recoil lugs and I don't know if I really want to buy another one.

foxx
09-27-2015, 09:40 PM
I believe it would be easy to prove. Never seen it though.

The theory says the imperfect dimensions of the face of the factory lug causes the lug to slam against the stop on the stock and push it to one side or another. It seems too basic to me to not be true. I have many factory rifles with factory lugs that shoot very well (.5 inch or so), but I gotta believe a trued lug would improve them. I also have a few with the trued lug that shoot at or within .3 inches. I did not document how well it shot before replacing the lug, however, because I always do so whenever I replace the barrel. I don't think I will ever replace the lug if I don't replace the barrel, either, so I doubt I will ever be able to "prove" it works any better.

psharon97
09-27-2015, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't replace the recoil lug unless I'm also installing a precision barrel. The recoil lug would be one of the last places I would go for accuracy improvement in a rifle.